Thread: Software for Indexer?

Default Software for Indexer?

My indexer just arrived so now I must start my belated search for software to utilize the indexer to it's fullest potential. I understand that ArtCam pro has functionality for the indexer and I've read here that Deskproto is another option. What I can't seem to find is details about using either of these specifically for the indexer. Can you guys with more experience shed some light on this subject?

RhinoCam also has 4th axis CAM.
    Available as either add-on to RhinoCam Basic or
    included in RhinoCam Pro (or perhaps also as a standalone).

I do not have indexer, however have used in simulation mode and appears to be very complete.

Brian

Scott,
    What are you planning to do with the indexer? Knowing this will narrow the field a bit. I still strongly recommend DeskProto.

-Brady

The indexer for now is just a hobby/learning experience. I would like to start with decorative columns. But I see so many other artistic possibilities like totem poles, airplane propellers, statues, etc..

I'm mainly concerned about the software recognizing it's actually an indexer instead of tricking it into thinking it's the Y-axis. I'm just not so sure about "unwrapping" a model and expecting the edges to match. I've seen that discussed here and it sounds kind of complicated for my limited skills. I would rather have a WYSIWYG program for indexing.

Brady, I read your review of Deskproto. So far it looks like my best (cost-effective) option. Does it provide that WYSIWIG environment for the indexer?

So to summarize, it seems my choices are...

?ArtCam Pro - $7000
    RhinoCam Pro $4500
    BobCadCam Pro - $2995
    Vector XT w/ 4th axis $1295
    Deskproto - $1200

Any others that I'm missing?

Thanks for your input. This forum is the main reason I chose the Shopbot.

Scott

RhinoCam ($999) + 4th axis ($999) = $2000

Both this and RhinoCam Pro need Rhino $500

I went for this $2500 bundle and have never looked back, but I must add that I was particularly looking to purchase Rhino anyway. Rhino is very good at modelling 3D curved surfaces ("airplane propellers, statues, etc.."), and I like the way the CAM software is a plug-in - no need to constantly export geometry from CAD to CAM, it's already there.

The 4th axis is a proper 4th axis - no wrapping of the Y axis. But the geometry stays still and the toolpath rotates around it (I guess this is usual?):

13461.jpg

See finished item with comment on problems here:

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1148549560

I havn't used the 4th axis much, but both the indexer and the RhinoCam 4th axis seem very good.

Rhino and RhinoCam I use a lot and are excellent.

Scott,
    DeskProto is true 4th axis...not interpolated/wrapped X or Y axis. The toolpath goes totally around the part and unlike some other programs, it doesn't do one half of the part, do a table rotate 180°, and then do the other half. My thoughts are...what's the point in having an indexer if it is just going to machine one half and flip it? Although this method works with ArtCAM and PartWizard. It does not work with non-symmetrical parts like statues etc.

I use Pro every day and both draw and toolpath in it. I will say that 4th axis work is one of it's weaknesses, so I found that Rhino and DeskProto are a good combo. I personally don't like the look/feel of VisualMill(or RhinoCAM), but you may find that it works well for you. Go download DeskProto when you are ready. The demo is fully functional and super easy to learn. Be sure to modify the Machine Parameters for the ShopBot.

-Brady

Thanks for your input guys. So far it looks like Deskproto is the winner.

I did however speak to TurboCad sales this morning and they said their new Cad/Cam (v4) package should be released within a couple of weeks and there was a good possiblity that this would have functionality for the indexer.

I've been using Turbocad for years and like their products (for the price), so I think I'll wait and see what they have to offer before I lay down money (or trial learning time) for Deskproto.

I'll keep the forum udated on my findings.

Thanks again.

Scott Cox