Thread: Capabilities of Part Wizard 2.0

jcrwhiteriver Guest

Default Capabilities of Part Wizard 2.0

Looking at the Shopbot to do a few specific projects. As with all tools and programs, the inherent capabilities can be overstated in product literature.

I have some pieces of furniture I'd like to replicate. They have gothic tracery, arches, etc. and I wanted to know if I needed to buy additional software to replicate the design, or could I 3D scan it into Part Wizard, tweak to get it right and start cutting.

I realize that eventually a full 3D package will be needed to design new stuff from scratch, but I am trying to justify this to a spouse who only sees a bottomless pit that has cash poured into it.

Joe,
    You cannot do 3D cutting in PW. You can do it in MillWizard also made by DelCAM for $250...and you cannot 'scan into' PW either, unless you create a 2D profile scan and save as DXF and import.

Doing 3D is a whole different game than just cutting out 2D parts. There are many packages out there for 3D file creation and manipulation, and 3D toolpathing as well. Expect to pay almost as much as a new ShopBot to get a full featured CAD/CAM package that will really do what you want to do. Yes, there are lower cost options...but let me tell you, you will be frustrated with many of them.

Another option for you, and what many other botters do, is have someone else generate your 3D files and toolpaths for you. This way, you pay them a modest fee, you get your files ready to run with no investment in the software. Once you have the cut file, you can cut them anytime you wish.

-Brady

jcrwhiteriver Guest

Thanks Brady...I realize you only get what you pay for, and had a feeling the "base" PW software could not do it, but just needed to hear it from another source.

If anyone had a preference, what is the MOST flexible, easiest to use 3D software out there?

Looks like to go cheap, I'd need Rhino3D AND Millwizard to get the tool paths generated.

Is Rhino3D better than Artcam Pro for 3D modeling?

What's easier to use for the 3D novice?

We don't have any objections to spending the $$$ to get something that works and have a program that can flex with the changing projects.

I'm not new to PC's or graphics, so I can get around and learn. I also have a few MechEng friends that used 3D modeling software for years that I "could" tap for knowledge with plenty of beer for payment.

Any thoughts?

Sort of along the same thread - I am trying to move some curved (fit along a path) Palatino Linotype font text from Corel Draw 12 to PW2 so I can create a V-cut toolpath to rout on a sign. That font is not a V-cut font in PW2 and Typesetter does not seem to allow curved text. Any suggestions on how I can use that font to V-cut on my sign please. Thanks, Pete

Joe,
    Rhino is 'different' than Artcam. I like Rhino and recommend it even if you have AC. Rhino will let you quickly loft things into 3D and then you can render it to show a customer before you actually make it. It is very useful also for checking yourself when designing furniture etc and making sure that things actually fit. It is a very good package, although it lacks sculpting tools and other things (like toolpathing) that AC does. It's also great for exploding 3D objects that you find on the web, scaling and hacking off parts that you don't want.

If I had to choose one package and money was no object, I would choose Artcam. It will let you do things that no other package out there can, and it does just about everything extremely well. I don't think that there is another package out there that even comes close to what it offers in terms of sculpting of 3D and toolpaths that actually work. You can however, purchase many different packages to create a poorman's Artcam of sorts, as I have done...but after seeing some of the things that my friend who has AC can do, I know that I am limited in certain aspects.

-Brady

I sort of agree with Brady. I am a Rhino fan. I use Vector for toolpathing. If I had a lot of artsy stuff to do I might get ArtCAM. Ir does have some sculpting tools that are dificult to mimmic in many 3D drawing programs.

If money were no object? I'd purchace a small country and become an emperor.

Ron