Thread: Making a carving from a photo

Default Making a carving from a photo

Hello all, I finally have my bot running and have my first paying project. I have to build a case for a bottle of wine that measures a whopping 31" tall by 11" in diameter. The client would like to engrave the label on the outside of the box. What is the best and easiest way to tranfer this image into a usable file?

http://picasaweb.google.com/JeanChri...55126328385714

I use inkscape to make vectors from pictures and line drawings. You may have a problem since your picture is curved. www.inkscape.org

looking at the image if you have the ability to get a better picture without using the flash you should try working with that. I tried using inkscape and that flash in it caused lots of problems.

You can do it in PartWorks with the create vectors from bitmap. You will need a better picture and no flash so natural light with no bright spots is what you want. I did one using your picture and it turned out good enough to work with if I had to with some touching up with node editing. If you know someone with Aspire they could turn the whole thing into a 3d carving pretty easily.

This was done in Aspire in about 4 minutes. A little bit of smoothing and sculpting was done. The image is of the simulated finished piece using a 1/8" ball nose.

37823.jpg

Thanks for your help Jack; I'll keep the inkscape around! Erik, thats really cool. I knew this machine was going to be a great addition to my shop! So with a more "head-on" shot without the flash a pretty close carving could be done? If so, how much would you charge to set this up in a usable file?

John/Erik - I found this, a little digging might turn up the one you need
    http://www.charleskrug.com/index.cfm...p;tradeitem=98

I can do it later for you...I don't have my lap top with me. Doing it this way would be a 3d carving and you would need the right bits for it. I would also need to know what size you want the final carving to be so I can set it up.

John,
    If you want to send me an email you can send it to efrancey (at) yahoo. Tell me the thickness of material and size you want it.