Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vcarvepro vs idiot

Default Vcarvepro vs idiot

Hello, I need mental help now... Background info. I have an old pr96 that I bought from a friend that had been abandonded for quite a while. I have spent the better part of a month rebuilding it with new linear rails on top of the unistruts for nostalgic interest, a new complete z axis and the new 4g controller. Everything is tight, square an measures out perfectly. A few days ago I purchased Vcarve Pro and have spent easily 30 hours trying to write my wifes name in a piece of wood for her classroom and for her forgiveness of all of the time I have been spending in the shop! Everytime I create the file in Vcarve and save it (shopbot files and g code files) and open in shopbot the preview screen and coordinates all look great. But it cuts the letters on top of each other and the code seems to reflect this... I keep thinking its happening when I calculate the code in Vcarve and save it. Its not translating to my controller right.... I have read many threads looking for somone else that has had the same problem nothing so far... I have cut the same mistake fifty times now... all look identical and wrong!!! I feel stupid and think its something simple... Anyone out there can help with my needed sanity??? Laurence

Are you sure that you have the right post selected for your machine

Laurence,

You also need to verify your unit values are correct for your machine.

Have you tried to make some simple cuts and measure to verify they are correct? For example, design and cut a small square and circle. If the machine isn't cutting these correctly, your unit values could be wrong. Be sure to include Z movement in your measurements.

The preview feature in VCP is a very powerful tool and isn't wrong. So if your screen preview is correct, but your machine doesn't cut it the way it looks in preview mode, then the problem has to be with the post processor, machine setup or machine mechanical.

Tim

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

When you save the file are you saving it as shopbot/arc/in processor in the v carve list of processors?
    Hope this helps

When you move the gantry does it move the correct distance? On my old pr I had to change the values when I changed to the 4g. My values went up. If you want to try the values I use give me an email?

Thank you for the responses last night I wasn't expecting that! My gantry moves very accurately, my unit values for x and Y are 25xx.xxxx and my z axis is 40xx.xxxx I am using the original Vectra motors.

Yes I can make a box or a circle or even a single letter and they measure perfectly. When I run the vcarve file lets say its designed as 20 inches it cuts it in about a 6 inch area... My file was "Mrs. Leyens" and the cut was Mrs. in one space and Leyens in the next space. The letters are cut on top of each other almost perfectly. Its like the file doesn't tab..

Ill go down to the shop in a little while and can take photos of the file and the outcome if that will help. Ive tried saving the vcarve file as just about every shopbot file and the g-code files as well. Same cutting output every time. Ill run a few more simple cuts and document them with outputs to re-verify again. But I have tested the output measurements of the machine quite a bit. Thanks Laurence

Laurence, any chance you can post your Vcarve file to download (most likely to large for this forum, but could try zipping it up)?

Posting your .sbp file would be helpful too.

Ill try! about two hours from now Thanks!

Laurence

Since your are getting accurate cuts this may not apply. But I have an older PRT machine with 4G upgrade and the unit values for X and Y are 1833.465 and for Z it is 2291.831. These come from the updated configuration files for an older PRT with 4G. I don't see a different file for a PR.

Also, have you verified you're not set for metric units in your job setup menu in VCP or using a metric post processor?

Tim

Edit: one final thought. you will get better support for VCP on the Vectric forum, plus the forum allows larger pictures/files to be posted. I would recommend you join and start following that forum in addition to this one, if you're not already.

Here are some photos.... Ill make some simple files and cut and measure and photo next...

47423.jpg

47424.jpg

47425.jpg

47426.jpg

47427.jpg

47428.jpg

47429.jpg

47430.jpg

47431.jpg

47432.jpg

47433.jpg

47434.jpg