Thread: Anyone have any of these problems in v carve pro?

Default Anyone have any of these problems in v carve pro?

they can come and go and sometiems depends on font (oens it coems with) or if I choose one word at a time or them all or who knows why. I iwll be emailing them right after this post. but it is sure driving me nuts.

20566.jpg

20567.jpg

20568.jpg

20569.jpg

Hi Steve,

Thank you for sending us the files. You are having problems because the fonts you are using contain loops and/or overlaps. To be able to VCarve a design correctly the vectors should NOT overlap or contain loops. VCarve Pro is pretty forgiving for many small loops but if they do cause a problem you will have to fix the vectors. With script fonts VCP will automatically machine each letter individually to try and avoid these problems but it is not a universal solution as many fonts have crossings within the letters themselves.

Closeup of vectors for '90' in middle of file

20579.gif

Close up of vectors for 'Residence' at bottom of file

20580.gif

You only sent us the file with this font in but I am almost certain that if you look at your other fonts they will have the same problem.

To fix your problems you can do a number of things.

1) If whole letters are overlapping as in the residence text use the text kerning tool in VCP to change the spacing.

2) Convert the text to curves and then move the vectors manually. If the vectors contain loops (common with some bold fonts) you will need to use the node editing tools to remove the loops.

3) VCarve non-overlapping sections independently. You can still output the resultant toolpaths as a single file to the machine.

4) Use the 'weld' tool to join overlapping vectors together before carving.

The problems arise with fonts because they have been designed originally for printing. In the printing process printing black over black will not make any difference to the visual output, however overlapping vectors will cause problems for almost any CNC machining package.

Hope this explains the problems you are seeing and helps you work around them.

Brian

Steve,
    I have several fonts that do the same thing Brian is talking about. I bought a cd of fonts and a lot of them are also do this.
    Gerald

Loops and overlaps, bad mojo. When I was not as savvy I let a guy pick a font and I had a similar problem. I cheated, converted the text to curves, selected the entire letter and clicked on the merge/add vectors button. It took all the overlaps in the letter and joined them. I got a way with it, the font looked good enough.

Robert

I had it happen on a eps file it did have overlapping lines.
    what about the missing letters? one other problem I had I made a offset of some of the text and it would not make closed vectors. left me with a bunch of bits and peices I had to join

ok I see how to make the text closer when you kern it but hwo to space it out. how to change the curser to -?

Steve - if you press shift with the kerning tool it will open out the spacing

Once you have overlapping vectors all bets are off with regard to the result. The vectors may disappear completely or you'll get incorrect toolpaths.

I'm afraid the garbage in - garbage out rule applies here. You can't reliably offset or machine vectors with loops and crossings. You need to fix the vectors before you can use them.

Brian

Brian,

do you have plan to implement a tool to point to those loops and such ?errors"? VCP already have two tool to find open and duplicate vectors; why not a find loop and overlapping?

Now I know you're plenty busy so just put that on the idea/wish list when you get a chance.