Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hidden Control Software

Hello all- I figured this one out.

The SB3 program does not always do a clean shut-down and is still running in the background after "exit". I use the "process manager" (A free download from Microsoft) and kill the SB3.exe program that is still waiting in the background for some signal it never receives, that prevents a new copy from starting up.

The bug is clearly in the shutdown logic for the SB3 program. It does it to me about 1 time out of 10. I am running 3.6.1 Beta06 if that helps any. I have not noticed any pattern as to what the situation is that causes the control logic to enter the "wait forever" loop.

By nuking the sb3.exe process, everything restarts correctly. I have gotten so accustomed to killing the process when needed that I didn't think of reporting my findings.

Sorry

D

Hey Dana...
    Would this apply immediately after an overnite shutdown? I find it hard, as in my case, that a copy would be running in the backround after a shutdown.

I would like to add that this is something that I have not paid much attention to, and may have the chronology bass-ackwards. Will try and pay attention over the next few days.

Happy New Year to all.
    Gary

Dana is right... I am programmer in Visual Basic... If the program is not close completly this will happen...
    When you press Exit Button in Menu, if in that button it is not commanded to close all processess running..this thing will always happen...
    After shutting the programm, if u want to open it again the program will just open and blink and disappear..

Gary- The SB3 program conceptually is just exiting.. however it seems to be waiting for something, perhaps a signal from the control board in the bot. Its the sort of symptom that the USB/serial driver has been closed then the software is waiting for one more packet of information from the control board. If something like that occurs a race is set up, such that on one setup it will appear to work "bug free", when in fact the bug is hidden, and the program has unpredictable behavior.

That is probably not the exact problem, but typical of the a shutdown bug. And the problem may not be waiting on a signal that cant arrive. It definitely is after the SB3 program has closed all the open windows, as nothing is showing on the screen when it happens.

If you shutdown the PC at the end of the night and never close the SB3 program, eventually the PC will send a message to the running program that says "exit or be killed", then the process will be terminated as part of the windows power down sequence- hiding the problem in that case.

I have made my living with software enough to find these things maddening to find. Sometimes they are obvious once the symptoms are known.

Either way, I expect a beta 07 in the near future ;)

D

Latest beta appears to be 15, posted 12/15/08. So you may be waiting for beta 16, Dana!

I am probably way behind.. I dont check for updates unless I hear about the good things I am missing on the forum.

D

For an update...
    Assuming that even tho tech support or the beta dept. may not monitor the forum, their boss does!

I installed 3.6.1beta16 on my SB computer for a few days. the beta did NOT "go into hiding". I had a few other issues with it. One of them was that it did not deal with prox switches as well as ver 3.5.12 does.(or the firmware included) I am impressed with some of the features in this version and cant wait til it goes mainstream.

I reinstalled 3.5.12 and had much more reliable prox reaction (no change on X,Y, but improved on Z, A and my drills). a copy of 3.5.12 also goes "into hiding" NOT visible on task manager. only presents for a brief second during OS shutdown.

I dont know a lot about how all this stuff works, but this doesnt make sense to me. Dana?

Gary

Gary - So far B16 has not done that to me either. But the older one didn't do it every time. I will give it a while to see if the problem seems to be resolved.

I use ProcessExplorer, a free download from microsoft, much better than task manager, and you can have it replace TM. PE always shows the hanging processes and allows me to kill them. Then I could re-launch SB3 without problem.

Interesting observation on the prox switches, since I have been using B16 all my XY zero has been done by laser, I haven't been using my prox switches. I use the prox switches when the work is bolted to the "slab of aluminum", then the prox switches give me a zero that is consistent to about 0.002. The laser isn't that good, but I use it to point to an X on the material where I want the cut centered and it doesn't need to be as precise.

D

Dana...
    I used to think that I had very consistant zeroing by the prox switches. I can now run the XY zero and see differences ranging in the .050 range. possibly less with ver 12, but not much. I ended up making a zero fixture that uses a circle on a plastic template of known dimension to regain accuracy. (sigh) as frustration of trying to make accurate parts sets in.
    Gary

As usual I wrote some test routines, they go to the prox switches but do not re-zero the axes. That way they read the repeatability of the prox switches to get to the same position.

Like some of my other stuff I will have this at your camp in Feb, so if you would like to try it out it helps to know just how much error there is in using the C1 command. I dont mind sharing these little utilities.. it really helps with knowing how well the SB is performing.

D