Thread: Basic questions

Default Basic questions

Hi all,

I've had my bot fired up for a couple days now playing with the commands on the control software. I have yet to do anything with partworks. Anyhow I have a couple of basic questions:

1) How do I set the z to zero so that it knows where to zero each time?

2) Under "Cuts" C2, I think, is supposed to zero the material being cut to the table top using the proxiamety plate. I get this; "Pause in File" Z-Content did not clear for some reason. Exiting." How is this used properly?

3) In the "SbParts" file there is a file named S_swirl. No matter where I set the x-y the file wants to start the center of the swirl at 0,0. Therefore 3/4's of the design is not even on the material to cut. How do I change the start location prior to using a pre-made file?

4) The "Get Carving Quickly" CD has a few projects to route. I can't get any of these to work. I get this: "Development/Debug Error line 1" Command Not Currently Supported (DI); Ignoring.

5) When I set the move speed's at 10 or above the x-y axis make a horrible grinding/popping noise. Almost sounds like pinion teeth breaking. Any ideas...?

Many thanks.

John,
    you've got mail!
    Dick

Hi John! Welcome!

1) look into the C1 command to start the ZZero process.

2) C2 finds the XY zero using the prox switches.

3) you can set the XY zero at the current bot position using "Z2", or "ZX" followed by "ZY". You can move the bot around using the K command and the arrow keys.

4) read the get carving quickly files into partworks 3d. Using that program define how the carving should be located in your material. Then use the PW3D program to generate a roughing and final toolpath file. Run those files from the SB3 program.

5) Do you have a standard or alpha? It sounds like a standard, and cannot go nearly as fast as an alpha. Stay below 10, most cutting happens at 1-5 inches per second.

---

Last note- get yourself a one inch thick sheet of HDPF (Home Depot Pink Foam) Make your first cuts in that. Before you make your first cuts, cut "air". And for your first effort.. don't even put a bit into the router. Find out what it will do, and look for anything that you don't expect.

As your experience with the machine grows, you will just go straight from designing to cutting. But at first there is a huge amount to learn. No point in messing up good material or breaking bits while you are getting up to speed with your new machine.

Good luck, and those of us on the forum who have already been down these roads are happy to lend a hand!

Where are you located? If you put that information in your profile, you might live close enough to one of us who has a reasonable amount of experience and we could come over and help out with that early learning.

I dont post my email address to stop spam, but that is a good idea to put in a post if you want some personal assistance. I freely trade my contact info with real botters, as its quite a community of helpful folks.

Good luck! And again welcome!

D

Dana, my email is in my profile, can I have yours?

#5 ...most likely the guide wheels are too tight on the Z carriage. Had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and worked it out with Tech Support...have not had a problem since...I do agree with Dana that 10ips is faster than I cut by a long shot.
    Dick

Dick- thanks for the suggestion about the guide wheels. I re-setup my "slab of aluminum" and I think that explains what I am seeing now on my bot. I will go adjust the guide wheels and see if things improve. Just the advice I needed!

Thanks

D

Your welcome Dana, but the credit goes to SB Tech Support...they patiently went through a much of things with me to figure it all out...and they did...
    Dick