Thread: Sbsys.log layout

Default Sbsys.log layout

Is there a document that defines the meaning of each column? Some are obvious, many others not so much.

Apparently I possess a unique gift either posting questions for which there is no answer, or questions that beg to be ignored.

I don't know which...

Brett, I saw your post, but instead of having answers, I'm just as curious as you are. I was hoping somebody who knew the answers would post them. It would be a handy file to know the syntax for.

Also I have wondered if there was a way to add "user comments" to it automatically, such as "lubed the system", "surfaced the table", "squared the XY axes". That way the log would also contain the maintenance history of the machine. I can see that being very useful to keep track of how the machine performed after maintenance.

Brett, if you care to work on writing a reverse-engineered definition for the file, I would be happy to contribute. Although I would hope that tech support might provide the info we seek. Too bad its not in the manual.

D

I also saw your post Brett, but I'm at a loss as to where this file is. Maybe it's because I'm running the Beta version.

Brett,

I asked almost 18 months ago and am still to recieve a reply

David

((Shhhh)) its a secret!

D

Bump...

I sent the following email to Brett the other day, but it got bumped back. I guess everyone else wants to see it anyway.

-Ted

-------------------------------------
    Hi Brett,

Just to update you. We've gotten a bit of a description of the log files into the new version of the ShopBot Programming Handbook which is installed with the current beta (Sb3.6.1beta16). I've pasted in the relevant section for you below. The SbSys.log is something that we thought might be useful for a number of purposes, but we have not had a chance to work on as much as we would like. We'll try and keep the format pretty much the way it is so that if you invest any effort in parsing it in other software, you won't get too screwed up. But you should keep in mind that a large chunk of this file is currently just 'stubbed in' with the idea that we would work on it as we had time.

At the moment though, you should certainly be able to use it for checking on how the tool is being used, and how much time it is turned on and/or running files.

Note that we have changed the Part File log format somewhat so that it now also includes speed the console is set at and the last speed that a file was running at.

Since this is all a work in progress, we'd be happy for any suggestions as well as what you might see as priority items for development.

This beta includes a new system to interact with ShopBot from outside programs that developers may find of interest.

-Ted

SbSystem Log. If writing of the SbSystem log is enabled [VD], then when ShopBot is started, closed, or files run, entries are appended into the log. The log is stored by default as C:\Program Files\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\Bin\SbSys.log. This log file could be used to create a system for monitoring use of the ShopBot. We have several ideas for additional functionality in the system and dummy output values have been stubbed in, but are not yet implemented.

There are 3 types of lines in the SbSys file. A) Start-up or mode switch line; B) Part File line; C) Closing line.

The Start-up line has either “NFP” or “StartFile” as the first data entry, where NFP indicates that the software was started normally and not by a command line call that passed a file [see this system in next section]. A command line call startup will be indicated by “StartFile”.
    >> The second data item indicates whether the start occurred into CUT or PREVIEW mode
    5 data items follow that indicate the parameters passed if this was a command line start, otherwise these parameters are empty
    >> Next items are TIME and DATE
    >> Empty data item
    >> Control Box Version if available
    >> Software Version
    >> Serial#, Operator, sys1,…, sys4 (FUTURE IMPLEMENTATION PLANNED)
    >> ~####### (an internal check number used by ShopBot)

The Part File line describes any Part File that is run by the software. It begins with full path and name of the Part File.
    >> Then CUT or PREVIEW Mode
    >> Elapsed time
    >> Next is TIME and DATE
    >> Empty data item
    >> Software Version

The Closing line is recorded when the Control system is exited. The first data entry indicates the type of Close (NORMAL for a user close; or Type of close as set-up by a command line startup [see below])
    >> “Total Time” -- just a printed term, we thought we might keep some sort of running count
    >> Elapsed time
    >> Next is TIME and DATE
    >> Empty data item
    >> Software Version

Ted- Thanks for posting the format of the file. It is almost certain I will be taking advantage of the information available there.

D

Sorry about the email snafu. Our Exchange server flamed out last Friday afternoon and we just got our email back on-line late Monday.

Thanks for the info, Ted. I do appreciate it.