Thread: RhinoCAM for Rhino4.0

Default RhinoCAM for Rhino4.0

I must say I wasn't particularly thinking of upgrading from Rhino3.0 to 4.0, I was more than happy with the capabilities of Rhino3.0. And RhinoCAM1.0 has been brilliant. But then I checked out Rhino4.0 and decided I just had to have it; it was worth it just for the ability to flatten undevelopable surfaces.

Before purchasing the upgrade I had the sense to check whether RhinoCAM1.0 would work on Rhino4.0. The Mecsoft website said:

"RhinoCAM 1.0 is a plug-in that is completely integrated in Rhino 3.0/4.0"

Excellent. But further digging on the Mecsoft forum found a post from Mecsoft Support saying that an upgrade was needed:

"the product was announced on March 1, 2007
    To download the product go to:
    http://www.rhinocam.com/Downloads/pr...ownloads.shtml"

So an upgrade to Rhino4 was purchased and the RhinoCAM upgrade downloaded and installed. Before running, RhinoCAM wanted a new license code, so that request was made. This was Tuesday. After recieving a few terse emails from Mecsoft asking where I had downloaded this software from (the Mecsoft website!!) I am told this morning that the upgrade has to be purchased (costs $149 in the USA, I have to find out for the UK), which to be fair to them is on a page on their website if you look for it, but wasn't mentioned in all the talk about upgrading on the forum or the product description.

I won't be able to get the upgrade until next Tue at the earliest.

I understand that somebody has to pay for this upgrade work (but Penguin upgraded free), I just wish they had made the situation clear from the start to allow an easy upgrade instead of all this rather suspicious emailing.

I can also undestand the security issue, although most other software doesn't need a dongle (which is an absolute pain for us laptop users), and I do think Mecsoft is a bit paranoid about it. It's great software, but not that much (if any) better than the competition (I bought it for it's 4th axis add on).

I object to being made to feel the guilty party just because Mecsoft haven't got their story straight.

John

I'm using VM 6.0 and upgraded it from 5.0...I have had good luck with Mecsoft...maybe you should call them or e-mail explaining what has happened. They are pretty good as far as software zombies go.
    Erik

Erik, as I say, it was an email conversation and I did make my feelings known. All water under the bridge. The software doesn't care and works well. Mecsoft have been very agreeable on other occasions.

John

Where do you find a shopbot post for RhinoCAM?

It comes with it I think. They were very helpful and created a Shopbot post for me in mm. There's also a post processor generator included with which you can set your own. So I could have made my own but I didn't realise this was possible. You know what new software's like.

"You know what new software's like."

I know that I've had a copy of RhinoCAM for over a year and have been too busy to try it

Oh I see. In that case, when you've created a machining operation (MOP) you can right click on it to create a post. You are then offered a list of post types, including ShopBot, from which to choose.

To edit a post:

In the RhinoCam browser click on the Setup tab.

Click on the right hand icon - Utilities.

Click on Post-Processor Generator.

You'll see a list of post-processors including ShopBot. You can edit it by selecting it.

John

That was easy! Thanks John.

I'm going to get my butt out of bed an extra hour every morning and go through the tutorials.