Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seamlessly Joining Textured Panels

Default Seamlessly Joining Textured Panels

I need to seamlessly join two 8' x 4' textured panels to make up one 16' x 4' panel. I have been using V Carve pro for all my textured panels. I called Vectric and they said it can't be done on V carve pro.

I was thinking of somehow mirroring the toolpath file to get two mirrored edges that join but I have no idea as to how to go about trying this.

Does anyone know what software has the capability to do this?

If someone has a software that can do this for me I will be willing to pay for a few toolpath files as this is quite urgent and I have already promissed the client it can be done. :-)

Thanks, Zak

OK, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you should be able to mirror your first 8ft by giving your x axis unit value a negative sign, zeroing at x= 8ft and running the same file.

Yes? No?

Zak,

You could create the file in VCarvePro or PartWorks as a single 16'x4' textured panel, and then postprocess it with a program that would read the file and split it up into seperate panels. For instance it could read the file and copy all the commands that had an X-axis value between 0 and 96 into one file, and all the lines that had X values between 96 and 192 into another. Then everything would match up correctly. It might not cut quite as efficiently as a file that hadn't been split up, but shouldn't be too bad.

I'll work on a program that does that and (if it works!) will stick it in ShopBot Labs for you to try out...might be handy for others as well

Bill

Scott, I like where you are coming from. I'll try it tomorrow. Do you know where I go in to the shopbot software to reverse the unit value? In 'Unit Values I found two options. Do I change my x unit value from 1273.2395 to -1273.2395 or do I change my x resoution from 4 to -4? I assume any of these will reverse the process.

Regards, Zak

Bill, I like this even better as I am sure there would be some kind of identifiable line if the texture file is mirrored.

I look forward to trying both options in the morning.

Thanks again, Zak

Zak,

Here's another option. I can take the .sbp file from VCP (the full 16' so you don't create a seam) and backplot it in VectorCam. Then I can truncate everything beyond 96" and join with rapid clearance paths. Then I can do the same with the other half.

Takes just a few minutes.

Scott

Scott W, Sounds interesting. What do you mean by Backplotting and Truncating.

Can I email you the .sbp file?

Regards, Zak

Backplotting is like reverse engineering.
    You can convert a sbp to a dxf with SB3 also and then open the dxf, but a program that can read a 3D dxf is needed. That's where Vector comes in handy. Truncating is just cutting it off at 96". Then the rest would be generated from 0,0 again.

Yes, you can send me the file. Email address is in my profile.

Scott

I did not know a sbp file could be converted to a dxf file. Now I come to think of it it is quite obvious as thats where it starts life. I have 3d rhino so I can open the 3d dxf. Where do you find SB3? I would like to get a copy of this. This opens up loads of different avenues.

I guess my problem would be generating the new cutting file from the 3d dxf. I have Millwizzard, Vector V Carve and Part Wizzard but I dont think these programmes will be able to create a 3d along the vector cut file to generate the tool path I need.

This Vector Works sounds like a good piece of software. How much did you pay for it?

When I come in tomorrow I'll send you the file.
    Thanks again, Zak

Here's what I've done before on signs over 8' long, but the background was not textured.

Still, it should work even if it needs slight cleanup by hand with chisels, sandpaper, etc.

Assuming your panel is single faced: butt join the panels with biscuits and pocket screws from the back side and slide the panel along your x axis with the excess supported by roller supports.

Import your design into VCarve Pro and set the material size at 16'x4', generate your tool paths and make sure it all virtual routs ok in the display.

Now go back into VCarve Pro and change your material size to say 96.5" x 48", slide your actual panel to 0 x,y and generate and rout all toolpaths for that 96.5 x48 left side of your panel. Now slide the actual panel and your design within VCarv Pro left precisely 96.5" so that the old 96.5" is now your x=0.

Generate toolpaths and rout all parts of your design within this right side of your panel.

I use a 60 degree v-bit to place a precise point at 0 x,y and x=96.5 so that I can slide the panel left and pinpoint the old 96.5 at the new 0.

The advantage to the above method is that you've routed over your butt joint, which is the hard place to get it to match up.

If I misunderstood your problem and everything I wrote was a waste of time, then as Emily Litella on the old Saturday Night Live would say: "That's very different. Never mind."