Thread: Default material size limitations

Default Default material size limitations

I am soon going to be doing some 3d carving hopefully using partworks 3d for toolpathing. The project is 3+ inches tall but only in one small area and the rest is about an inch. The blank piece of wood will be trimmed to partial shape ( to avoid wasting wood) so I want to be able to define a different starting shape (other than a block in XxYxZ) in PW. Is this possible?

Thinking outloud here, never done it this way BUT
    why couldn't you take your 3" height area and do a roughing and finishing pass on that defined area, then take your 1" high area and do a roughing and finishing pass on it? I realize it won't be square like my example and you would have to draw your vectors around each area so they would overlap the cut slightly so as not to leave a ridge between the two toolpaths. Since no one else came up with an idea, this is what i thought of, so if its wrong someone please chime in because there may be something i'm not considering like cut height between the 2 toolpaths that might be an issue?

39654.jpg

Jack - only issue I can think of is the entering and exiting the 1 inch area. You would want to make sure you have enough height / clearance to pass the 3 inch high piece. Depending on the artwork that you start with it might not be that hard to do. Russ

My thought was that you would run your 3" rough and fine passes first to eliminate the bulk of the material and the flat wall where the 3" meets the 1" to keep your tool from hitting anything.