Thread: Emergency request please

Default Emergency request please

I was emailed this morning a jpg of a Husky to make a Table Totem for the Boy Scouts-Husky patrol (they are 12 years old). They wanted to know if I could have it by this Sunday before they go to camp. I have Aspire but have never done this before.
    Is there someone that is proficient with Aspire to make this Husky.jpg into tool paths for me to plug into my ShopBot?

42990.jpg

If it could have this appearance, dished like this German Sheppard, the Boys Scouts and I would greatly appreciate it.

42991.jpg

In desperation and thanks to you in advance,
    Terry

if it can be made in other programs what sizes are you wanting?

Jack,

12" wide x 18" tall would be fantastic.

Thank you so much,
    Terry

Terry, if you want the dog to the look like the German Shepard there is no quick way to do it. You would need to build up some shapes from vectors (drawn over the image) for all the main shapes on the face. Sculpt these to create the basic underlying shape. Then create a component from the image to get a basic texture. Smooth and sculpt this and then add it to the underlying shape. This is the same process as the fish tutorial - to do a job like the German Shepard you would be looking at a fair amount of time though especially as the texture you get from the image would be limited by the large amount of plain white in it.

You could, however, rather easily, photoVcarve it using vectric's software. Not a true relief, but hey it'd be quick.

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr.../pvc_index.htm

Just a thought.

James,
    Thank you, they did not give me enough time to learn all that you suggest. I will go to the fish tutorial at a later time to be able to do that. I really want to learn so much, but it takes time!

Chris,
    I do not own photoVcarve, but I do like quick. What mediums do you photoVcarve in? Wood, Foam, Plastic. I have wood and some 1.5" pink foam.

Thanks,
    Terry

Terry, in all honesty I've only used it a few times at a buddy's shop. ( SO please anyone else feel free to jump in) We have always used harder material, HDU, corian, and rock maple. the trick seems to be to get a high resoultion with a LOT of fine lines to get the most detail. Though with your high contrast image that might not be so critical. If you have photoshop or another image editing software, masking out the background would probably help too.