Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indexer / 4th Axis CAM Software

moehink@ieee.org Guest

Default Indexer / 4th Axis CAM Software

I don't own a ShopBot yet, but I keep thinking up new uses to justify the potential purchase. One of the latest ideas would require the use of the indexer to rout non-symmetrical curved / twisted pieces. Picture a spiral/rope design that includes a slight curve along its length.

I currently use TurboCAD for my 3-D design. Since I would have to find appropriate CAM software, I am interested in opinions of the best tools for this application. I like TurboCAD, because it has some tools that should simplify my designs, but I recognize that I might have to consider an alternate CAD system as well.

I reviewed earlier 4-axis posts, but most of them were questions regarding specific packages. Since this is still in the idea phase, I have not completed any of the designs yet. Once this is done, I would like to generate the necessary CAD/CAM files to rout a prototype. Thanks.

Craig

Craig,
    I like DeskProto because it is easy to use and it is the only package out there that I have found that will take a file and mill it completely around 360°. There are many other packages out there that will mill a 3D file on the indexer...but there is a lot of fussing that you have to do before hand...

For instance, ArtCAM can do a round file, but this requires you to do a lot of tweaking, especially with a non-symmetrical file, to get things right. You need to move the origin to the center of the screen (0,0,0 point) and play around with unwrapping your 3D geometry...which doesn't always work out from watching others do this. VisualMill with the $1000 add-on rotary option will let you mill all the way around...but it breaks up the toolpath in 180° sections and mills one half at a time. There are other programs out too, like BobCAD and Vector with TotemPole that are less popular. As I said, I really like DeskProto for the indexer. It has a few other unique toolpathing strategies in there as well. Check it out.

If you are comfortable with doing 3D in TC, then by all means keep doing so. If you get limited in the things that you can create, Rhino is a great program for doing 3D.

Hope that helps,
    -Brady

Quality Products NorthWest, LLC, Juneau AK

Hi Brady,
    Your comments about DeskProto are interesting. Can you tell me if it uses the "A" axis for the indexer?

I will certainly check it out.

Thanks,

Wayneo

Yes, I believe that it does. You can download a fully functional demo on their site.

-Brady

Yes DeskProto will use the A axis. The G code when converted will create a M4 command. But the windows SB software will not convert the Code correctly I have to use the DOS software to convert the G Code.

Brady, you mentioned Rhino...have you used Rhino with the 4th axis add on? If so what did you think of it? I had an evaluation version but I did not get much time to experiment with it.

I'm considering getting an indexer to do some 3d models and prototypes such as, sculptures or ornate turnings. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tom

Tom,
    I believe that you are referrring to RhinoCAM, not exactly Rhino....RhinoCAM is a CAM plugin for Rhino, that is essentially based upon VisualMill. I tried the VM demo and didn't really like it compared to DeskProto.

So to achieve what you want you can create your 3D geometry in Rhino & then export as STL. Then pull it into DeskProto and mill it in the round.

Does that help?
    -Brady

Brady,
    You're right I meant RhinoCAM...the reason that I inquired about it is, that Mecsoft has an offer running where you can get Rhino and RhinoCAM for $1500 vs. purchasing Rhino and DeskProto for a total of $2,100. I guess that my original question should have been- is it worth the extra $600?
    I get the impression that DeskProto is a little more user freindly maybe?

Thanks for the quick reply by the way...this forum is the best resource I've come across!

Tom

Tom,
    The best option is for you to download demos of both and try before you buy. Since everyone has different preferences and cuts different material types, you may find that one package is a better fit for you over another one. Personally, I like DeskProto because it has some unique strategies in it...but not as many options as VM. VM gives you more options, but unless you take the time to really figure out how to use it...you'll get frustrated. I downloaded their demo, and didn't learn it in time to really get a good test out of it...too many steps to machine a part.

DP on the other hand, after tweaking the SB machine options...I was cutting a part that same day....2-sided and it was dead on the money.

Again...test drive both. See what is the best fit for you. Rhino is Rhino...I would just focus on the differences between VM Basic and DeskProto. With VisualMill (RhinoCAM) be SURE that you know EXACTLY what you are getting. Generally, 4th axis machining is a $1000 add-on to VM Basic...so it may prove that DP is a cheaper solution afterall.

Just called VM and it's a total of $2500 for RhinoCAM with 4th axis AND Rhino3. If you order 'soon' it is $1500 for RhinoCAM + $500 for Rhino3 for a total of $2000 altogether...so be careful before you plunk down your cash.

-Brady

I use VM 5.0 at the shop, however I bought RhinoCam when it came out to have an extra seat at home. I think it is an excellent product, well integrated into Rhino, however have not tried the 4th axis plugin.

VM 5.0 offers more toolpath strategies however RhinoCam (VM Basic) offers almost everything that I need.

Brian