Thread: Problems in ver. 3.4.27

Default Problems in ver. 3.4.27

This has happened to me SEVERAL times with no rhyme or reason. I 0,0 at lower left corner of table. I'm using a form bit to make a decorative edge on mdf by lowering my Z height then runnnig the bit on the edge down the X axis. I run it down at 1.7 ips, bump it down one or 2 clicks in the Z axis (with the "fixed" button depressed) release the button run it back up the X axis.

Several times the carriage just stops. The default message comes up as if you had hit the spacebar. However you cannot resume. I clear the message raise the bit and give it the JH command and it goes to some arbitrary point as if that was the 0,0 point and stops. This time it went to 9X,14Y and i have never even zeroed my machine there before. I have to re 0,0 and start over.
    These times have been mostly when I was doing something manually as opposed to a shopbot cut file but it has happened with cut files. What is the most stable version out now and why is this happening?

Jack,
    Those are classic symptoms of electrical noise. When I had that problem with my Alpha, pre-spindle, I ran an 8-gauge ground line that connected all axes together. After that, I had no further problems - until I added the spindle, but that was my fault and has been reported several times here on the forum.

ok im not clear on exactly how you mean to ground all axis's together? Where would i run the ground wire from/to? thanks

windsor boat works limited, gravenhurst ontario

I had the exact same problem caused by static coming out of my dust collector hose and arcing to the frame rails . All of my axis were grounded and I still had the electical gremlins . It wasn't untill I ran a copper wire through my dust hose and grounded the wire to the electrical ground for the building that it stopped . ----One way to tell if it's your dust collection is if the machine works fine --i.e. air cutting -- but starts acting up once you have dust going through the hose it's most likely static from the dust collection .

Jack,
    Here's a link to some photos that Bill Thorpe posted showing how he ran his grounding wires.

Thanks I will make the changes and let you know how it goes!