Thread: CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4 versus PartWorks and other software

Default CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4 versus PartWorks and other software

Hello folks. I was wondering what you feel is the best and easiest software to use to work with the ShopBot. I haven't purchased one yet, but I'm within about 90 days and trying to get a jump start. I have some experience in CAD and other PC graphics tools but not Corel or others mentioned in the ShopBot website that is used with this tool.

1) What are your thoughts on CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4?

2) How does CorelDraw stack up to PartWizard, V-Carve, etc.?

3) What do you think is the most widely used software by ShopBot users and why?

Best Regards,
    Zeke

Hi Zeke,

I had no prior experience with any CAD/CAM packages before taking delivery of the ShopBot.

I have Corel X3 and do most of my work in it as I also have a laser engraver and Corel is the package almost 100% of the laser folks use. I also have PartWorks and use it for all of the toolpath creation. I do draw in PartWorks to try and keep up with it, but seem to always drop to Corel and export files as EPS and inport into ParkWorks. Everything I have done to date Corel and PartWorks has been just fine. I like the Corel/PartWorks combo a lot.

PartWizard was OK. I like PartWorks much better. PartWorks and V-Carve PRO are the same package. PartWorks only has post processors for ShopBot while V-Carve PRO has them for different machines. PartWorks has been branded for ShopBot. Great package!

As far as question #3 goes.... Maybe folks will post here what they use and you can get some idea. For me, it is Corel X3 and PartWorks and PartWorks 3D.

Zeke- just a suggestion. Get started! The software that is part of the Shopbot is all you need at the beginning. Wait till you find out what you want to do and then buy supplemental CAD software.

There are many different approaches to using the Shopbot, as this forum attests. Many different opinions on how to go about it also. Because each of us do different things we have different needs and have had different experiences.

I think my best advise is: you can trust the software they supply (with whichever version of Shopbot you get) will be plenty adequate to get you going.

90 days from now you will be up and running and will be much further down the road.

Good luck-

D

Let me add that the software that comes with the machine is more than just adequate. You do not have to have Corel. I don't want anyone to think you have to buy something else. I use Corel ONLY because I use it many times each day for the laser and I can also use it for the CNC as well. There are some things that PW does better and yes, I have exported to PW to do one thing and then back to Corel.

They are all tools. Use the one that fits your hand and the way you work.

Place your order and ask to download the software so you will be ready for the machine when it gets to you.

Listen to Dana, good advise!