Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Way to hold/center round stock ???

peter.j.meacham@lmco.com Guest

Group, do I presume correctly that using a tapered bit will produce a workpiece with tapered sides? thanks, Pete

Sugeri Inc., Crystal Beach Ontario Canada

Thanks. They look like nifty bits!

Gary

rgbrown@itexas.net Guest

Pete asked:
    "Group, do I presume correctly that using a tapered bit will produce a workpiece with tapered sides?"

Pete, probably so unless you have figured out a way to make the ShopBot 5 Axis.

You aren't holding something out on us are you?

Ron Brown - rgbrown@itexas.net

If Stupidity got us into this mess,
    then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers

Hey Ron,

You should have been at the Jamboree! Look about half way down the page at http://www.shopbottools.com/jamboree5.htm . Give it a minute to load...it's animated.

Bill

Pete, Yes the cut does have a very slight taper, but in the depths we're speaking about it is barely ( if at all) noticeable. In some cases the taper might even be beneficial, such as adding "draft" when making molds..Bill P.

ARTWORKBYKENWHITE@BIZEC.RR.COM Guest

bill, i spoke to you at the jamboree - we talked about scanning black and white photos - then saving as dxf files - and then ceating a toolpath
    to carve by. i'd like for you to briefly {if possible} run that by me again.

Bill,

I have not yet figured out the point of the taper endmill for regular routing. Other than draft angles (and making cool edges) what is the advantage of the tapered endmill?

BTW, I have had excellent results with solid carbide spiral O-flute bits made by Belin and they are less expensive. You can read more about them here:

http://www.multicam.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=spiral-o

Bruce Clark

Bruce, to my knowledge there IS no real advantage in a tapered bit. I bought it because it was the longest carbide 1/8" ball nose bit I could find! I needed the carbide because some of my work is in mahogany and I wanted to make sure the bit held up.As mentioned above, the taper has no real bearing on most cut files.If anyone knows of a longer carbide , ball nose bit, please let ALL of us know..

Ken (KAW), I've forwarded the info to your e-mail address.BTW, they are not .dxf files ( to head off a gazillion other inquiries..). I use Artcam 5.1 to make up the images..

Sugeri Inc., Crystal Beach Ontario Canada

Bill Palumbo,

I just received the the two bits that you mentioned above. I cut 3/4" mdf at 1 inch per second. Very good cutting. I find that I can cut at this speed with a 1/4" spiral "O" Onsrud bit but the added dia. of the bit tears the small pieces off the 2 sided tape that I use to hold it down. I also received the "Big Book" from MSC, they aren't kidding, this is a big book. How did you ever decide on these bits from the other 10,000 in the book and why metal cutting bits?

Thanks, Gary