Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DXF to Shopbot

"I could never understand why anyone would want to convert a DXF to a toolpath. What is the advantage of doing this?"

6342.jpg

"Why would you want to do this...ever?"

Why crawl when you can walk?

Ron

mnrite@yahoo.com Guest

So,when I get my ShopBot and the full software can I use a "similar" process as I do at work, understanding that MasterCam is a much more advanced program, create a DXF in AutoCad, import into Parts Wizard and apply toolpaths, export to ShopBot code. Or will I need additional software (masterCam,enroute etc.)

Thanks
    Mike

Mike,
    With the software arsenal you currently now have at your disposal, you should not need anything more, UNTIL you decide to try some 3D work. And even then I believe you can generate files with Autocad/Mastercam but it may involve a few extra steps ( although I haven't seen "Mastercam ART"in action yet...)

mnrite@yahoo.com Guest

Bill, I should have explained better. I hope to buy a shopbot to work with part time at first but then quit my job and use the Bot for my own company. At that point I will have my autocad but will loose the company mastercam. Will autocad and parts wizard be enough?

Thanks
    Mike

Mike

Autocad and Parts Wizard are all you need to make and cut lots of 2D files. There are lots of more expensive programs that would give you more flexibility in cut paths but Parts Wizard, though missing some features of the higher cost software, will work very well.

I havent't played with the DXF converter. Does it create 3d paths of 3D vectors in the DXF?

Keith (Unregistered Guest) Guest

I have been reading some of these threads and it has generated one big question. Can I have a complex 3d surface file in Mastercam and post it out (using Mastercam Toolpath capability) to G-code that shopbot will read? I am interested in purchasing a shopbot and have Mastercam Mill III. I will be maching intricate designs on wood and plastic, not only 2D but sculpted-looking 3D shapes.

Keith,

does'nt MasterCAM have a post for SBP file?

Maybe you can get the ART add-on for this purpose...?

Keith2 (Unregistered Guest) Guest

Paco,

I'm not sure - perhaps Mastercam does have a post - I'll have to look. I guess my big question is: If I have Mastercam Art, can I post out something and cut it on the Shopbot. The reason I ask is because some machines are limited to the file size of G-code (these toolpaths would be huge), some machines can't move the same speed in Z than it does in X and Y, etc. I know they seem like basic questions, but I want to make sure before I invest in a machine. Thanks again.

Oh, and I had to change my username - thanks

Keith(2),

have a look at what some fellow Botters say about big... large... huge files.

Still, your question is relevant.

...know that posts are editable to suit your needs (I hope it's the case with MasterCAM...); I've just edit my ArtCAM shopbot(arcs)(inches) post to include the control of the router/spindle...