Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Rack and pinnion

David Fisk Guest

Thank you Dirk for all the practical tips. I have the 2" on the Y. I took the wheels and hold downs off my y carriage and found that one corner was not flat. The funny thing is when its loose it lays flat and when you tighten it the corner goes up. I guess stress affects more then just us Shopbotters.
    I guess my bot needs a psychiatrist, Ted can you help out with this
    ? This has been causing a lot of binding/missed steps. I put some washers under it while tigtening it to keep it flat. The carriage looks rather odd now, but it is running without binding. I don't have access to a welder so I'm stuck with nuts and bolts. Dirk, do you think adding bolts across the rail above the hold downs would be of benefit for stiffening? Or what about brazing I have a brazing torch. Maybe I won't need those niffty BWC rails and carriages after all

djhazeleger@mindspring.com Guest

David
    I would say no to brazing. I think you would apply to much heat and take a chance of warping. If you do weld be sure everything is perfect.I don't think the bolts would help much,if their is flex it will be in the middle of the bridge.
    For my application I have not welded or stiffened My y axis. Any vibration problems I have enountered were the resanance of the steppers. A lot of this was resolved by replacing with a 24 volt supply. My next mod will be to upgrade to microstepping. I feel the y carriage could use some beefing up, and some of the suggestions I gave were options I was contemplating.
    Dirk