Thread: How to set spacing between objects?

Default How to set spacing between objects?

I have many objects drawn in Corel X3. I want to set the spacing between them to say .125". What is an easy way to do this?

I use the "t" command to align the tops of them all and now I want to adjust spacing between them. I can use the distribute tool to equal out the spacing between objects, between the left and right most object, but I cannot specify the distance between a bunch of objects.

Ed,

If you go to "Arrange/Transformation/Position" (or Alt+F7), it will open the transformation docker for "Position". You can specify a distance there for horizontal or vertical, absolute or relative, the direction, and whether to apply to duplicate or not.

If you can get the objects to touch edge to edge, then just specify a distance and move one or a group in relative distance.

You can also do a "Duplicate" (Ctrl-D) with a specified offset setting in the "Tools/Options/Document/General" dialog.

Ed, if you want to nest shapes of different shapes, it'll be tricky the more you have. You need a nesting feature for this. If you want to nest shapes of the same shape then block copy. Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure how to block copy in Corel X3 right now... guess it's in the Edit or Arrange menu... I believe both PW and Vectric V Carve PRO 4 (this one I'm sure) can do this.

Scott,
    I see how the position will move the group of objects. I don't see how it will create a space between each of the amount I want.

Lets say I have three squares all 4". I want to have .25" between each of them. OR, I have a circle of 3", a triangle of 6" and a square of 4". I want them all lined up to the top of each of them. I select them and push "T" and the tops align. Now I want to have .375" between each of them. With them all selected, what do I do?

I know how to make the space between the first and last be divided up between the center one(s) the the end ones, not all of them the same and be able to spec it.

Hope this clears up my need.

Ed,

I don't think that there's a magic button for that, but you can do it manually.

The three 4" squares are easy to do with the duplicate function and a 4.25" horizontal and 0.0 vertical offset set in the "Tools/Options/Document/General" dialog. Or with the "Position" docker and "Apply to duplicate.

The three different objects are a bit tricker. Before you align them to top, turn on snap to objects in the "View" menu (Alt-Z) and in "Options/Workspace/Snap to Objects/" check "Location Marks" and "Screen Tips". Also, make sure that all the modes are checked.

Let's say that we have the triangle first, then the circle, and lastly the square. Select the circle first and move your cursor around the selection (the shape of the circle). You should see a screen tip that says "Quadrant". When you get that, click, hold, and drag it to the lower corner of the triangle. You should see another tip called "Node". Snap it there. Then go to the position docker, set relative, and 0.375" horizontal and 0.0 vertical. Apply and it should move 0.375". Then select the square and do the same thing just this time you will snap with "Midpoint" or "Node" and "Quadrant".

Then do your align top.

Hope that's clearer than mud

Thanks Scott,

The answer I didn't want to hear, is there is no magic button. Oh well, I have been using the snap to and such but I thought that there must have been a more automated way to do this.

Thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts folks!