Thread: Sample of 3D

Default Sample of 3D

This is a sample of Vector Art 3D that I made for our showroom. It was taken off the ShopBot and painted with Porter acrylics with no sanding or hand work.

20416.jpg

Flying Horse Woodworks, Strafford New Hampshire

That is gorgeous!
    Now, here come a million questions:
    What material is it, eg. wood, mdf etc.?
    What are the dimensions?
    What bit did you use?
    How long did it take to machine?
    Beautiful work!

Nice job Ray. For those interested this model can be purchased for $25 here: http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/ind...l&ID=50078. There is a choice of files compatible with Millwizard (STL), ArtCAM Pro (RLF), Cut3D (STL or V3M) and many others (RhinoCAM, DeskProto, MeshCAM, EnRoute Pro - all STL).

Or... if you do not already own any 3D software our FREE 3D Machinist software - http://www.vectorart3d.com/machinist_free will let you create toolpaths on our V3M format files directy for your ShopBot.

BJ - this was cut from 1" HDU (Corafoam from Duna, USA) and finished with Porter 100% acrylics. A glaze was put over the relief carving to accent the edges.

The circle is 8.25" in diameter. One of the great advantages of using Vector Art 3D is that it can be made any size and still retains the detail of the artwork.

The bit was a 1/8" ball nose with about a 15% step-over. I also did one with a 1/4" ball nose but the detail was not as sharp. It would have been OK for a large rendering where it would not have been seen as close as this one.

As best as I can remember it only took about twenty minutes, but I was doing something else while the ShopBot was running this and I'm not sure of the time. Running time is not a big deal to me because I can be doing something else while the ShopBot is making money for me.

Thanks for the nice comments. Actually I had very little to do with it - the artwork was already done and the tool paths were part of the program. I just punched the buttons.

Nice to see and surprised at such a large step over but the results look good. Nice Job to both James on art and Ray on the results.
    For those not familiar with James Booth, he provides the best avenue for 3D in simple and cost effective art ready to cut and run.
    Cant get much easier or better than that! Except for Rays design and artistic vision of course.