Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BobCad to ShopBot

The saga continues.....
    #1) "Training CDs" showed V21 and V22 being real close to one another until the machine "TREE"!!!!! Not a happy camper here. CDs are VERY lite with instructions/operation of the machine "TREE".
    #2) Faxed the "Post Processor Request Form" to BobCad for a V22 Post Processor going to a ShopBot. There is a V21 Post Processor for ShopBot available, and with this, in hopes of their creating a V22 Post Processor should not take too long.
    #3) I have reverted back to V21 BobCad running the Fanuc6M Post with no bells/whistles to get up and running. I only set the depth of cut and then "Auto" the rest of the tool path. So far all 2D tool path and will try some 3D stuff tonight.
    I lean towards my lack of experience being the root cause of my problems. BobCad has worked well for me feeding my "Home-Built" CNC. I look forward to the BobCad V22 "Post Processor" for the ShopBot. If anyone could offer up a more layman's explanation of the BobCad V22 machining TREE I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Bill

Without notification, the V22 ShopBot PRT post processor is now on the BobCad support page. Have tried simple rectangular pockets and all is fine so far. Would there be a concern for PRT vs PRS post processor?

I have spent some time exploring Bobcad V22 capabilities. Not enough to be an expert, but enough.

One limitation the program has, confirmed by Bobcad support, is the inability to deal with V bits in the basic machining package. Thus, no V carved letters. No bevel carved letters, except with with inefficient 3D raster cuts. No end mill plus V bit engraving strategy to get sharp inside corners.

Just getting started here. Have not even contemplated fancy Vcarve w/BobCad. A simple pocket would be nice. Rectangular worked ok.... but .... including a radius produced less than acceptable results. I don't kick sleeping dogs, not do I plan on BobCad Tech support.

27489.jpg

first off..... Good luck on the tech support. Im still waiting on them to call me back from 2 month ago. I gave up.

And second the only reason I still have the software is that they without any reason have refused to refund any of my money.

Oh yeah.... I have a standard and the Post is for an Alpha. Where do I go to get the info they need to create the Post.

Brian

Isn't BobCad wonderful (accent on WONDER)! When I called them they said to just list "ShopBot PRS" as the machine on the "Post Processor Request Form", Fax it to them and they will take care of the rest. You will notice the Post on their site is for a PRT. BobCad is powerful software, just won't work for me only because of the post processor (I'm guessing). Support...... I really wasted a lot of $$$$ on V19, V20, V21 and now V22. They're NOT on my Christmas card list.

ShopBot's new software TOTALLY blows BobCAD out of the water for the majority of the things that you'll want to do on the Bot. The Vectric brand products will run circles around the BobCAD stuff and actually make sense in how they work...and it's also much cheaper. If you bought BobCAD to start doing 3D, just throw it in the trash, buy the ShopBot PartWorks 2D/3D package and something like Rhino...and start making parts!

I did the BobCAD dance several years ago, and I can tell you with confidence that I will never give those people another dime of my money or endorse their product to a single soul. I spent the $1295 for the whole package...It actually made me think that I had to really work that hard to make parts on the CNC. Stick to the Vectric & DelCAM/ArtCAM brand of products, and you'll do just fine (and won't ruin your brain).

-B

Brady,
    Yes, a futile attempt to salvage some of the software $$$, I have come to realize "BobCad" = "This is your brain on DRUGS"! I am leaning toward the Rhino. If (big word here) I am understanding this right.... Rhino for the design and PartWorks 3D to manufacture the cut file. Going back to the internet searching for more information.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Yes Bill, you are correct in your assumptions. But...realize that some 3D software is better than others depending on what you are looking to do in 3D. Decorative reliefs and things like that are tough to make from scratch in Rhino. Not impossible, but not nearly as easy as ArtCAM...so there is a trade off. All of this depends on what you intend to cut on your machine. For many, James Booth's 3D Clipart is perfect, for others they use my 3D laser digitizing services, and others either use the ShopBot probe or generate what they need themselves via software. So...have some intent on what kind of 3D you want to cut, and that will help you to make the right decision on software.

Yes - Rhino will create 3D content & Cut3D will generate the toolpaths for that 3D content. If you only intend on creating toolpaths for your ShopBot, save yourself some bread and buy PartWorks 2D & 3D from ShopBot. It will only output an SBP, but is identical in every way to VCarve Pro & Cut3D. I'm not sure what you are running for your 2D at the moment, but PartWorks2D will allow you to do many advanced things that are not available in PartWizard or BobCAD...like being able to v-carve ANY design or font and do advanced toolpathing moves like ramping into cuts, lead ins and other features only found on higher priced software. It's worth a looksy...

-B