Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BobCad to ShopBot

Default BobCad to ShopBot

Newbie here... my 4848 to be delivered this Friday. Have currently been using V22 BobCad's G-code to my "home-built" CNC and would like to continue using it until I can afford "new". Can anyone assist me with translating the G-code to a ShopBot format? The forums mention a converter/translator but I'm missing the name and where to aquire.

Thanks,
    Bill

Once you load the ShopBot control software you will find a G-code converter at:

C:\Program Files\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\Bin\UX_GCODE.exe

Hey Bill,

The ShopBot software will natively run G-Code files...here's a list of the supported commands.

http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?title=GCodeMain

Just to make sure, you can download the Control software and try your files in Preview mode...you'll get an error if one of the commands isn't supported.

Bill

Great! :-) Thanks guys. I have read both good and bad about the BobCad post processor for ShopBot, if functional at all. Any comments on using that or some another post processor?

Have read some ill reviews of BobCad but... like to create a skin all you need to do is cursor point, left click, right click, left click, one more left click, right click, left click three more times, face east, point west, hold your left foot 3" from the floor, whisper "I hope this works this time!" while pressing the ENTER key. It's that easy! Honest.

Once again... Thanks!
    Bill

Bill,

I have written negative reviews of Bobcad based on my experience with V19. Newer versions may be better or not. I am evaluating V22 and have not yet reached a personal conclusion. It is, at least, very different from V19.

The Bobcad support person I reached did not know of a V22 Shopbot post. Drop me an email if you have one or know which of the available posts prooduce files Shopbot will machine.

Jim,
    Have had V22 for awhile but no time on it other than install and then look. The "face" is new to include menu modifications. Started w/V19, V20, V21 and now V22. I'm not sure where I got/read/heard about the ShopBot Post or that Fanuc 6 G-code is the closest workup to ShopBot. This will be a learning trip for me, moving from my home-built CNC to a ShopBot. As for BobCad.... I really can't complain if for no other reason than I don't know any better. I guess I jump on the BobCad complaint hay-ride only as a cover up for my own short commings.
    All-in-all, will get back with you once I have some "real" info for you. Assembly starts tomorrow....

Thanks,
    Bill

Jim,
    Checked with BobCad Tech and there is no Post for ShopBot. There is however a Post Request Form that one could fill out and FAX to them and they will build/modify/create a Post.. "Free of Charge". I also found out that my V21 "BobArt" will not work with V22, that would be a separate purchase. Will check further.

I have had a VERY bad time with version 22. I purchased it and was told that it would work on my Bot. Well after Tech support would not call me back, talked to me like I was a fool, and could not help me with my problems I had enough. I stuck it out though and FINALLY after a month got just enough bugs worked out on my drawing (with no help from the "on demand" support) whent to post it... nothing. When I as ask them how long it would take to write a post for me they couldnt tell me. After all the trouble with the drawing with no help I could only think of the trouble I was gonna face being the test subject for a new post. The software can do it all. I like it. Wish it was a better company backing it up, but with a month of down time and no support after paying for it I am not impressed.

Brian,
    I'm traveling down the same road. BobCad tech support has left a bad taste in my mouth for the same reasons that you are dealing with... "Yes, V22 will work with ShopBot". It will all come out in the wash.

Bill

I guess tech support at shopbot has us all spoiled and we expect other companies to do the same. I guess we have to realize they are the "exception and not the rule". Too bad they don't follow their lead.

I guess Bobcad doesn't realize that "when you're happy you'll tell ten people, when you're mad you'll tell 100".