Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BobCad to ShopBot

I have a thread regarding a converter here:
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1204249449

Joe.

Greetings-

Well, I am concerned about my situation relative to BobCAD/CAM and ShopBot.

1. Bought BobCAD/CAM in Dec 2007
    2. Planned to come "up to speed"
    on software first, before buying
    CNC machine (considered building
    my own)
    3. Purchased a ShopBot "Buddy" mid
    April 2008
    4. Continuing to learn BobCAD/CAM

So, what's the current situation? Did I *totally* waste my money on BobCAD/CAM? The only reason I went with BobCAD/CAM in the first place was that I was concerned about using a hardware vendor's (ShopBot's) software -- I didn't want to get stuck with (perhaps) a vendor-specific set of tools. My thought was that if I used a viable piece of software (i.e. BobCAD/CAM) that wasn't tied to a particular gantry, then I would have more options as to how to grow with my system through the years.

Thoughts?

-David

P.S. Anyone have any luck returning BobCAD/CAM software? All I've gotten since my purchase has been more sales pitches for more software.

I will let you decide if Bobcad was a waste of money. But I will say, as an owner of both, that the Partworks software that will come with your Buddy will create toolpaths that work with very little time spent learning.

Should you later change horses, Vcarve Pro (available at a fair price) provides exactly the same interface and capability as Partworks, but has the ability to toolpath for every common CNC.

Consider asking Shopbot to ship Partworks in advance of the Buddy, and be ready to cut parts when the Buddy is unpacked.

Well..... I had a REALLY bad time with this company. Their sales office is far more compitant than their tech support. After a total of 6 months of unanswered phone calls and a COMPLETELY unuseable post I was not about to make a single part. The biggest problem with the company is their return policy. They dont have one. Even after THEY said the software was not going to work their policy is to charge a restocking fee of about $150-$200. What a joke. I DO NOT recommend any one to this company. Even if the software worked..... The company is a joke.

Brian,

Perhaps they might respond more diligently and favorably to a letter on your attorney's letterhead.

Another thought: How did you receive this software? Was it shipped to you? By USPS? If so, you might be able to get something going with regards to mail fraud. If nothing else, having the Federal government behind you is a pretty good sized "stick" when you're negotiating the outcome.

Brian,
    If you purchased the software with a credit card you can contest this problem. The credit card company will take the money from the sellers account and put it back into your account until there is an investigation to determine if this company is living up to their selling agreements. I purchased cabinet software from a guy that never followed up with promises to update the software; he was never heard from again so I contested the purchase and received my money back.

This is funny (NOT)! Looking at the post dates, BobCad activity has once again risen. Just so happens BobCad just called me today offering me TRAINING here in Orlando. I then proceeded to lay my (our) story on them relative to my (our) success with BobCad. Just to add a bit of humor... In response to my "it just does not work" ...the BobCad rep. replied "...that's the line they all use, it does work"! He then sent me on my 4th. transfer. I spoke with a non-tech person and she said that Scott would call me.
    My BobCad Tech called and took the time to walk me all the way through my problems and resolved all of my issues..... but then my wife woke me and told me it was time to go to work.

Relative to previous post......
    BobCad called! Updated my V22 to Build-946 from Build-812, reinstalled the ShopBot post and all seems GOOD! Created a file with holes, pocket and a profile which ran (cut air) on my ShopBot. I did get an error relating to limits but that is probably to-do with my settings I have in my ShopBot. More to follow......