Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer - how fast is fast enough?

Default Computer - how fast is fast enough?

Planning new shopbot setup.
    The computer will be an AMD K6/2 550mhz 128mb via board.
    I would rather run V3 in win 2K as this will network easily to my main machine.
    Can run dos & V2 if this would be a better option.
    Any advice most welcome.

Ralph.

K Simmerer (Unregistered Guest) Guest

Ralph,
    With Windows 2000 you should be able to run both if you choose. You have to reload the control program that is appropriate to V2 and V3 each time you switch, other than that, they run in different directories, no real conflict. I was running XP, 98, 98se and V3 and found V3 can have a miriad of quirks, and problems that are hard to solve, behaves differently on different computers and operating systems, but is getting better with each revision. I really like the latest released a few weeks ago, but I have gone back to Win98 to enable a DOS boot and V2 if needed, although with new version I can use my probe and have not had need to go back to V2 since update. Have not tried Tiff conversion yet which was not working properly with previous V3 release on my system, had to run under V2. Through 3 different computers and 4 operating systems I have seen persistant problems with Visual Basic Runtime errors, some I found fixes for, some I could not. No such problems with DOS version. Only problem with newest release with my current system has been running shopbot edit program was causing Runtime error/program shutdown. I assigned WordPad as default editor and moved on with life. Newest release seems more stable, faster, smoother and has more toys errr...tools than previous. If you didn't know about it, released a few weeks ago, download it and check it out.

Hey Shopbot, how about spotlighting operating system updates when you release them on the home page? I stumbled on it by accident. Toot your own horn, couldn't hurt. Announce newest version # and update date.

Keith

Ok, I'm a dope.. they do post it, but who knows the version number, post the update date.

Keith

Gee Keith,

I looked in my download directory and had 4 copies of the ShopBot Version 3 files dating back over a year. I'm wondering where the other two or more versons I had used are.

All seem to have a date on them. Just guessing but, I'd bet the ones with the newer dates are later versions.

HTH,
    Ron

Thanks. I will set it up with dos and nt4 and have both available. I guess future development will focus on the windows one, so I guess that is the one to concentrate on - it also keeps file transfer easy with the network

Ralph

That's my point Ron,

If they posted the DATE on the HOME PAGE ANNOUNCEMENT, then reading 2/19/04 would be more effective than V3.1.8. If next week brings a new release with it, few people will catch V3.1.9 as not the current version they are running, but most will catch 3/12/04 as a fairly recent release date...
    or are you running 3.1.7 ?? ... no peeking, which version was posted this morning ?? ..

The date is an IMPORTANT reference, that is why it is listed in download directories AND with Ver.#'s.

WITH A RELEASE DATE AGE BECOMES APPRARENT WITH NO FURTHER RESEARCH!!!!!

THINK MAN,THINK!!!!...

AAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHH!!!!*&%$#!!@$&%@!.......... ........

sorry,

Keith

Are we off topic? sorry Ralph..

Also more elegant for large file transfers using goodies like external drives and thumb drives in case you are not networked.

Good luck
    Keith

I've discovered V3 will not run on NT4 - needs activeX - so its back to W2K. I think I've been away from dos for too long to go back - and I love the drill tool. Trouble with most of those drives is they need usb - win2K yet again.
    Does anyone use Autocad to work out toolpaths etc? I am quite handy with alisp, and can imagine using it to write part files - would welcome a nod from anyone who might have a few routines.

Thanks,

Ralph

I'm running 3.1.7 - locks my "design" machine up good. Runs on the other machines.

Don't know what was posted... Don't run V3 on any machine - yet.

Ron

As a casual reader who wonders when it's the time to make the move from DOS to Windows, I thought that V3 is an acronym for the Version 3 series that includes 3.1.7? Therefore Ron's last post confuses me, and I am too lazy to go and find the SB website to check this out - why don't we have a link to the SB website on the Forum anymore?