Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How fast is too fast?

Default How fast is too fast?

I'm Wondering how fast I should jog. I've been taking things slow at first, But I'm sure I can speed things up a bit. Could I jog at or near the max without any trouble? Thanks, Kip

Go ahead and jog at your max travel speed, no problem. Cutting speeds will be a function of tool type, rpms and material. That you'll figure out with experience. For example, we cut 3/4" 9 ply elliotis with a 3/8" single flute compression spiral at 18,0000 rpm at 8 to 10" per second (the speed varies with the shape of the part being cut). We are using a 5hp spindle by the way. We rapid transit at 30" per second.

Eric

In eariler versions of the software I would get a "hickup" sometimes when I jogged at 30 ipm. Shopbot said to try a slower jog. I now run at 25 ipm. I wonder if that problem was fixed ???

Wes,
    what do you mean as "hickup"?

bump....shutter

Wes,
    I think you mean 30 and 25 IPS...not IPM.

-Brady

you mean that thing will go 30" per second???!!!

man, now maybe I can get some work done.

I'm not sure about hickups. Try scaring it, I here that usualy works.

I don't recall any problems jogging at 30 IPS and I purchased mine as soon as they anounced they where availiable. In fact I was jogging at 30 IPS in manuel mode until I mentioned it to Ted and he fixed the software so You can't excede 10IPS when in manuel mode.

I had a similar problem with my tool too in late 2004; the tool was hesitating quite brutaly while machining or jogging. I've considered many causes for this problem with Ted and we both keep us aware of our findings about this trouble. The problem was that it was very inconsistent and isolate to very few users. The problem I had was actualy that the datas sent to the control box were, for a short moment, paused; something prevent a good flow of the informations sent to the control box. That's what Ted explained me... Anyway, the problem seem to be now solved (in my case) and appeared to be that it was that my CAD/CAM software was looking for it's dongle every few minutes causing this pausing in the datas transfer... that is because I had the CAD/CAM running in the background as I was using the tool. I now allow SB3 full ressources of this computer and I did'nt encounter the problem yet since I "found" the reason of it (I can duplicate at will)... but I'm still jogging at half the full speed (until I'm sure it wont happen again) since I had severe jump off the rails a couple of times...
    That is what I experienced though; maybe others experiences are related to another problem... I would suggest to look for a services or software that is preventing SB3 full ressources of the computer...

95% of what I cut are 3" to 9" tall letters and words out of 1/2" mdf using a 3/16" belin spiral O single flute bit in a single pass. I am running an alpha. About as fast as I can run is around 3" to 4" per sec. to keep a good edge. Does this sound about right to everyone. I would like to run faster, but I seem to lose edge quality if I go any faster. I have ramps at default. If I go any faster the machine will bump and shutter slightly on certain curves and leave a "bumpy" edge. I always keep software upgraded. (currently .18)

Does it seem to help any to brace the table similar to the picture of the alpha on the Shopbot home page?

Thanks
    Wes