Thread: Best bit?

LM Custom Woodcrafts, Cortlandt Manor New York

Default Best bit?

Cutting these pieces from wood, pic is of one of 4 sides of piece. Ridges are .125w x .125h, depth from 0 to bottom -.4". Finished pcs are 12" x 2.5" Need best bit to stop ridges from chipping off. I tried a first pass at the depth of the top of the ridges, then a pass in the areas next to the ridges. I used pine, but pcs will be done in hardwoods, and possibly 2" mdf. I used a 1/4 end mill, but too many passes needed. 1/2 bit would be better for wide areas, what type though? I tried 1/2" dbl flute straight bit, chipped everything off almost. Thanks for any advice.
    25334.gif

talk to the guys at centuriontools.com they can advise you as to the best cutter and give you a decent price also. Call them

I have not cut much of any pine but with hardwoods and tropicals a straight bit works pretty well. a roughing bit should not chip but may leave fuzzies. doing a climb cut on each side may help out. a downcut bit may be good too.

I have done something like this on a manual bridgeport. I would do the first pass at the top of the ridges like you said, then the most gentle way of doing it would be go half depth on each side, then full depth on each side leaving a little extra on each side, then climb mill around the whole ridge at full depth. If your bit is sharp, it shouldn't matter too much what kind it is this way.
    The half depth on each side first reduces how much lateral stress you put on the ridge and it uses the rest of the wood around it as support.
    Just an idea.