Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arcs in the yz plane

Default Arcs in the yz plane

Hi,
    I have a benchtop and I have attached a small router horizontally - ie spindle in line with the X axis to the existing Z axis in order to bore end holes, mortice for muntins in wide rails, dovetails and round end tennoning.
    It is the last with which I am currently tusseling. Is there any way in which to use the inbuilt arc routines to move the head in an arc in the YZ plain.
    Alternatively does anyone have a sub-routine to do a similar segmented arc?
    My current project involves cutting a dowel spigot on the top of a door stile to form a hinge.

Regards and TIA,

R.

If your router is mounted horizontally, why don't you re-define your axes so that the classic x becomes your new z? Probably just a case of re-plugging motor cables, but I don't know the benchtop at all.

Gerald probably has the best idea if you are only using the horizontal router. If you don't want to swap your axes, then it is pretty simple to generate a set of points to get your arc. I've used Excel to write a function and generate a set of points based on a starting point. If you format your columns right, it's relatively easy to paste the coordinates into a shopbot program. Recently, I've actually taken to writing the functions in my shopbot programs. The shopbot language has enough basic programming capability to do most things. I've done carved volutes, scallops, v-carved stars with this approach. Once you have the function written it is easily reused.

PS. Remember switch off the system before moving cables.

I have considered swapping leads, and also writing a shell that would swap X's and Z's to part files generated in part wizard etc, but as I do want to use it in both modes (not simultaneously), I think it would get tooo confusing regarding space awareness - at the moment I think of my shopbot space as autocad modelspace world coordinates, and I want to stick with it.
    Following the journey home (where I do most of my thinking) I reckon I can write(with CAD) some stock segmented curves (the resolution doesn't need to be too high), and use a scaling variable for all the sizes in between. Though any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

R.

Do we know for a fact that the ShopBot is restricted to circular arcs in only one of the three planes? This was the case some years ago, but things may have changed since, with later software and controllers. Havn't seen this discussed much and wonder if the SB guys could give us an update?

rh, you mention using PartsWizard. As I understand it, PW chops all arcs to straight segments. If this is true, then it does not matter which plane you are working in.??

Yes Greald,

It is just too bad they don't use Vector....

Ron

Seriously, does PW still convert all curves to straight-line machine movements? This could explain why there has been no recent dicussion on the limitation for xy arcs - until this thread came along.

"As I understand it, PW chops all arcs to straight segments"

No. This is a function of the post processor. If you use the 'Shopbot_arcs_inch.con' or 'Shopbot_arcs_mm.con' post it will write the code in arcs. In fact, this is the only post that I use and the cuts are a bit smoother. If running PW2, it is in the dropdown when saving the toolpath. If using PW1, just download the ArtCAM post from the support area and install it in the post folder. Then it will be available when you save your toolpath.

I'm pretty sure that the SB will do arc movement in ANY 2 planes, not just the XY.

-Brady

No, there is an option to output PW in "arc" format, which uses the SB circle commands (CG) to cut arcs and circles.