Thread: Which is better?

Default Which is better?

Hello

I have to machine some dadoes, I have two choices (As far as I know):

1. Make a line, and generate a "Route along vector" toolpath with a bit that matches the thickness
    OR
    2. Make a rectangle, and generate a "Area Clearance" toolpath.

What are the advantages, or your preferences?

Thank you in advance

I don't know much about this but I have found that with cabinetparts pro I do the area clearance option and it works good

Carlos,

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. There can be many variables.

For me, when I cut dadoes it is normally for plywood and I find it easiest to do the single line and use a plywood bit to make the cut. I don't have to worry about the exact width, just select the correct bit for the plywood thickness I'm using.

If I only have to do a small dado, I may do the area clear and use the same bit I've used for other cuts - this just saves a bit change.

Tim

the advantage ti the line method is ease of use.. you just follow a line and the dado will always be the width of the bit used. And there is the disadvantage.. if your tool does not match the plywood or mdf then you will have a bit more work to fix it.
    With the rectangle method.. it is more time consuming to set up but the width of the dado can be set exactly to the wood being used. Lately I have been using 3/4 inch mdf that is actually .76" So I have been using the rectangle method a fair bit.Also as Tim mentioned, you can cut out the parts for a cabinet using one bit, including the dadoes if you use a 1/4 bit and the rectangle method...

mitch

material varies quite a bit anymore. plywood can be from .71 to .76 mdf the same. hard to get bits that vary that much.

I would drawer a rectangle the correct width with a clearance amount to fit the material then clearance it for the tool path. May need some test piece to make sure it fits.

Bonita Wood Shop, Spring Valley California

I always use a rectangle with the correct width. That way I don't have to worry about the bit size and the fact that I may not have the exact width bit. Wood products vary quite a bit. What I have done is to make a series of dado's with varing widths on a scrap piece of material. I have about 20 different widths all about 3/8" deep. They vary in increments of 0.010". I keep this as my test piece.
    When I get a new piece of material, I just fit this sample selection to the edge of the new material and use that width. So far my dodos are nice and snug the first time.

That is a good idea James.
    I like that.