Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google Docs Spreadsheet for *.sbp file collaboration?

Bill, I wanted to take a look at the software, but since I don't have the shopbot software installed on my workstation or have a log it's not running for me. Is it possible for you to provide a log file and the path your programming is wanting so I can check out your program?

Also, what are you writing this program in? Is it VB6?

Bill,
    OO Base is very convoluted in how it imports external data. Open up the OO Help and go to the 'Index' tab and type in: "importing;tables in text format" - This will walk you thru the steps of importing a text file. It seems that you 1st must pull it into Calc, then from Calc to Base. It says that it will only import as Read Only, so that's good - you won't have to worry about messing up the data.

OO Base is a bit convoluted, and not the easiest interface to work in if you haven't worked with databases much. The easiest way to get data into Base is to pull in your SBP/CSV into Calc, then select all & copy. Then goto Base and paste. Now you have a table that you can query.

-B

Brady,
    It's really easier than that. In Open Office Calc (which is the spread sheet program), click the "Save As" option in the Files Menu tab and then select CSV as the type of file. You'll be given the standard option of either using a comma to delimit each field with double-quotes for string data or of choosing delimiters of your own.

I don't use OO base, but I do use PostgeSQL and MySQL regularly to import and export data to/from spreadsheets and SQL databases. The CSV file format is the format that is most commonly used to transfer data between different programs.

(It's also the file format that Bruce Clark and I use to store data in our FreeDoors program. Believe me, if CSV were complex, I wouldn't be smart enough to use it.)

Mike,
    Why Base doesn't just import a txt or csv is beyond me...any SQL program worth it's weight should import a flat file without issue...but that could be asking too much from a free program.

You can take any SBP and just rename it's SBP extension to CSV and it's instantly a CSV that you can pull into any spreadsheet or (hopefully) any database program. No magic there.

So after you have converted your SBP to CSV by simply changing the extension on it, in order to get it into Base, you need to open it in Calc 1st, then select all, copy & paste into Base. If it's larger than 64,000 lines, then you are outta luck...which defeats the whole purpose of using Base to begin with - to be able to work with larger record sets than 64,000 lines (3D SBPs or very large v-carving files)

-B

Brady,
    As usual, I assumed that the problem was file conversion, even though you clearly wrote that it was OO Base related. Sorry.

I just spent a few minutes looking at OO Base. Because it is similar to Microsoft Access, it's a product that I've never used.

When I checked the size limitations for OO Calc, they're the same as Excel (and the same as OO Base): 65,536 rows of data.

SQL databases usually have no limit (except the amount of disk space available). PostgreSQL reports databases larger than 32TB. Of course, using an SQL database would require a front-end program to put data in and get data out. (There seems to always be a catch for everything.)

OO Base can interaface to a few db's. If you like the interface you can use something like SQlite as your db. This would make your files *very* cross platform and portable. You can also use PostgreSQL and MySQL if you prefer. There are a number of articles on the net for setting it up.

You can also create a very simple windows app to us ADO to run SQL against csv files. If you put a grid control on a form and use data binding it will look very similar to a spreadsheet.

It just depends on how much time you want to spend and what result you are looking for. If you need to use free interfaces then base might be good. If you want fee and you can spend a little time you can cook something up in .NET or VB6 to solve the issue and keep using csv...