Thread: Holding furniture legs for milling

Default Holding furniture legs for milling

Anybody have a good jig or the like for milling mortises into table legs or chair legs?

I was thinking of some sort of jig to hold a set of legs so the CNC could mill the mortises. A similar setup could be used to mill tenons.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to do this, so I'm wondering what works best.

Thanks

Wayne...

The best I've been able to come up with for my work (not table parts, but same problem) has been to make a pallet of 3/4" plywood that I clamp to the table with mini T-Track running crosswise to the part. I made clamps like: http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/t-clamps.html to hold the work in place.

There have been a number of other good fixtures posted to the forum. You might want to take a look at a wedge clamping setup that (I think) Jay Mack posted.

...Morris

5896.jpg

Was used for holding styles on cabinet doors. Operation was 1.25 deep X 1.75 X 1/4 mortise on each end with a "dado" connection. Vacuum held 4 pieces at a time. The same system would hold 4 legs with only a little modification.

Ron

Wayne,

I had a number of bunk bed posts that I needed to have holes drilled in as well as a 3/8" slot the length of the post. These were all square 3" posts 40" tall.

I was cut a number of 3"x40" rectangles out of a sheet of 3/4" MDF. Each post then fit in the resulting holes and was held tight with 3 small shims. (one top, 2 sides) I was able to load the table up with 4 posts in a shot. Had I used the whole table I could have really loaded it up.

In the attached photo you can see the bot cutting the slot. It then drilled 3 holes as well. I then rotated the posts and ran another file to drill the holes on the other side.

5905.jpg

Wow! Talk about a blinding flash of the obvious. I'm a woodworker, and if there is one thing woodworkers are, its clever at making jigs and things.

I have used each of these techniques- wedges, containing parts in boxes, and holding parts in routed seats. But for some reason I didn't think to use these techniques on the CNC.

I really like the wedge idea, and will probably use a variant of that. But I can also quickly just tack some strips that are tight to the workpiece and be in business in seconds.

Sometimes I like to make a thing harder than it really needs to be. Thanks for showing me several simple and fast ways to hold things down.

Wayne from White Salmon