Thread: Water cooled spindle

Default Water cooled spindle

Anyone wishing to upgrade to a spindle and not sure of the dollars to do so, here is a lower cost way of getting a spindle. I decided to take the chance 3 months ago with a 3.3 hp water cooled auto-tool changer. I set it up for now as a push button changer. The cost of the spindle was $3400 and the water chiller to go with it was $300. When I was considering the upgrade, the 3hp collet spindle was about $1200. I did a lot of research on the different types of china made spindles. Some are better built than others. If anyone is interested in the water-cooled option, sent me an email. I will direct you to the company that i got everything from.
    can't get a picture to upload so if interested look here. I am very happy I took the chance. especially on the auto tool changer

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture605.jpg

I have seen Marks spindle and watched it run and even changed tools in it myself.

The chiller was also a very professional looking unit. I didn't take it apart so I cannot say from the inside out, but from the outside in, it was very nice. Alarm output was there too.

Spindle very well constructed- again, outside looking, I have not seen the inside.

Will I put one in place of my HSD 4HP manual tool change spindle? I think so. I am also looking at HSD ATC spindles from other CNC manufactures and the price varies a LOT from one company to another for the same model number spindle. All of them are a lot more than the one Mark has.

Keep us posted Mark! At least until I get one installed and I can start to boast too.

I'm interested, what are the speeds/ torque curve? I have a Colombo rs90 spindle on three phase right now.

I everyone, just giving an update on the spindle. No regrets, it is working great. We made a short video making a small 10" by 14" raised panel mdf door. It had 5 bit changes and took less than 4 minutes total to make. The push button tool changer has saved us several minutes per tool change. Glad we went this route.

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=shopbot2.flv

Mark, That's just awesome.

I assume this is a 3-phase spindle?

I don't fully understand what to do. But I just have to change tools like that. Very cool.

Nice job. I don't think you can overstate the importance of waiting for the tool to stop turning.