Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Free Doors Update

Hi Bruce.
    its been some time since i tried using free doors.
    i got an order today to make a few doors, and i have been trying to get a dxf output but with no luck.
    i got the output option dxf clicked i created the door files, nest the files, then click generate door files but dont see any dxf files showing.
    what i am trying to do is export as dxf and create my cutting files using vcarve.
    thanks paul

I've also never been able to output dxf files in order to use this program. I always get "An error writing the CSV date file occured". It opens my turbocad program but nothing ever happens. And the "Doors Output" screen is blank. Some serious tutorial needs to be writen to use FREEDOORS. IMO

Paul and Tom,

I just tried the program and it exported DXF files to the C:/Program Files/Doors/Files folder. I had no problem opening the resulting DXF files in AutoCAD LT. There are extra lines in the DXF files (jog paths) that need to be erased, but it seems that the output is basically there.

If you continue to have problems, send either Bruce or me an e-mail and we'll look at the specific issues.

Edited:
    Tom, have you used Bruce's tutorial? It explains things pretty well.

DB Woodworks, Boiling Springs South Carolina

Mike and Bruce,

Thanks for a Great Door program it has worked perfectly generating door files with my Windows XP Laptop but it will not generate files on my
    Vista Laptop. Any ideas why?

David,

I'm afraid that I have held off installing Vista, so I have no way of checking without getting to a Vista computer.

From your description, it looks like you might have a permissions problem. Do you have full privileges on all sub-folders in the directory?

If you would like, send me an email <miker@xmission.com> with any error codes or other messages and I'll try to reproduce the error when I can get to a Vista computer.

-Mike

I've just finished an update for the FreeDoors/Doors program that Bruce Clark and I worked on (several years ago). The new version does a better job of generating code to produce parallel arches. It also totally changes the ramp-in routine that caused some users to get 'divots' when their cutter changed direction at the end of the ramp-in routine.

Internally, the program has been almost completely rewritten, but those changes are hidden from the user - so no one will have to learn new ways of doing things.

If you would like an update, email me directly and I'll email you the update. (After unzipping the update, you can install the new program easily by clicking the 'update.bat' file that is one of the files included.)

miker@xmission.com

Mike,

I guess this was started before I had my machine and became a forum member so I was happy to see it pop up. I am grateful to you and Bruce for spending so much time and energy on this and look forward to trying it out.

Mike

I plan on doing a new build and release of FreeDoors as soon as I get my current project done--building a MAME game arcade cabinet for my brother for Christmas. So I hope to have a new build on the website before New Year Day.

Bruce

Bruce don't build it too big or it won't fit under the tree!

It's been a long time since Bruce Clark and I worked together on FreeDoors. The program is still available on Bruce's website (http://home.centurytel.net/bwclark/).

Bruce wrote the GUI part which is the part that you'll see if you use the program. I wrote the programs that generate the cut files.

I noticed that some of the arches were not correct. They "flared" a little. That was caused by some faulty math in my program. I've rewritten all of the program files that generate the cut files. As far as I can see (without a Shopbot), the cut files generate the proper tool paths without "flaring".

If you would like the free update, send me an email. I'll send you a zipped set of files. You'll need to copy your existing Doors folder to a safe place and then run an INSTALL.BAT file. That file will install the new version for you. The source code files include some text files that explain how the spreadsheet files (generated by Bruce's programs) work. There is also a brief explanation of the math used to properly cut the arches and the V cut corners. All of the C++ code to generate the cut files is included so that you can modify anything if need something different.

Send me an email (miker@xmission.com), and I'll send you the zipped files.