Thread: Test Results of the Ascension 1000

post moved here by Forum Admin

Folks,

I think its best I chime in here to clarify a few things about the Ascension 1000 and Mach3 offering that we (i.e.; Custom CNC) have as it compares to some of the other “PRT upgrade offerings” that have recently popped up. Hopefully with the following information at hand, Botters who are interested in upgrading their system will have a better understanding of what we are offering, and where we are headed.

This upgrade solution has been in design/test for almost two years now, and has gone through many iterations and more testing that one could ever imagine. I can assure you that this is not something that has been pieced together recently and minimally tested just to offer a “little something extra” for the PRT. Nor is it something built up from other standard “off the shelf” circuitry. It has been, from day 1, designed to function as a robust and full-featured stepper control system that is very flexible and expandable to meet the needs of your CNC operations. Please note: it is not just an upgrade that “fits in” somewhere between the PRT and the PRT-Alpha, and that somehow just happens to support the PR. It is a flexible upgrade solution that has the abilities to control a PR, a PRT, a PRT-Alpha, and much much more. Again, it is an extremely robust and powerful micro-stepper based controller system that has the ability to expand as your needs merit it. Please let me explain what I mean by this:

The “base hardware configuration” of the Ascension 1000 is targeted for those users who have a ‘standard’ configured router (i.e.; X1, X2, Y, Z) and will drive the stepper motors that have been offered on the PR, PRT or PRT-Alpha machine. In fact, it has the ability to easily drive stepper motors up to 1200 oz-in (this is roughly twice the size of the Oriental Alpha-Step motors). One of our PRT test-beds has 640 oz-in steppers running on it (approximately the same size as the Alpha-Step motors) for over a year now. We have had it running in excess of 35 inches per second, and clearly had much more room for more speed (but to what point?). We have since reconfigured that same test-bed for higher resolution than speed. As mentioned on our website, we will be offering larger stepper motors very soon. The Ascension 1000 also has built in support for a selectable range of voltages from 34v up to 68v. It too will operate any other stepper based machines you currently have or would like to purchase or if you decide to build your own. If you have the need for an additional stepper driver, this too can be added to drive a second Z-axis, a second Y-axis or an indexer (note the “2nd drive option” is currently under test). If you operate a CNC lathe or an indexer you can use the included Mach3 Turn software. We are also offering a Spindle Speed Controller card. Please note that this one probably differs from your current SSC card in that this one allows the user to place full control of the spindle head right at the Mach3 screen or in your cutfile. We also offer (standard) a relay controlled port to turn your 15A router On/Off via your cut file or from Mach3. If you use a 220v spindle head, this port can turn on/off your dust collection system or vacuum table, etc via an external relay.

The test results of what the Ascension 1000 can offer either a PR or PRT will be posted soon. Please note: when driving smaller amperage motors (such as those on the PR and PRT) you will gain notable speed, however the intent of this implementation is geared towards an increased number of step/direction pulses that go to the stepper motors themselves. This results in smoother cuts and greatly reduced vibrations from the motors (which also add to poor cuts).

There is also more to obtaining smoother cuts than simply adding an aftermarket stepper motor driver (ex: Gecko). If you are not utilizing a controller software that supports Constant Velocity (CV) mode, it’s difficult to compare the two. (note: CV is different than coordinated linear moves). In this scenario anyone using the Ascension 1000/Mach3 will automatically have the ability to now use the CV mode feature. For those of you wondering what CV mode is, it in a nutshell will give you smoother cuts as it performs an acceleration in the next axis move during the deceleration of the existing axis.

I feel compelled to now mention just some of the additional add-on features that will be coming out very soon on the Ascension 1000 (currently under test). First off is a remote hand-held pendant. This will allow the operator to get “up close” to their work or operate the tool from a remote distance. The pendant is very easy to use and allows the user to jog or move any axis, pause the routine being run, perform a Z-Zero routine and start a selected cut file. We also have another circuit board under test that allows an additional 13 user definable inputs along with functionality for a 6th stepper drive. What this means is a configuration that will support quadrature feedback from your stepper motors’ encoders. What this equates to is if you currently have a PR or PRT unit, we can supply you with stepper motors OR stepper motors with dual shaft/encoders, and the Mach3 software allows you to monitor your routers motors in the event of any lost steps (the amount is even user definable!). This functionality can be added to any or all of your systems axis’. In addition to the inputs being utilized for this, you have additional inputs for a multitude of other things such as an ATC (automatic tool changer), mister system, running pneumatic devices such as an air drill, limit and home switches, driving a PLC (programmable logic controller) to (example: drive a conveyer system to stage your next sheet of material), etc, etc, etc. All of this is easily configurable within the Mach3 software, and the Ascension 1000 controller has the physical connections placed that the back of the box for easy access and hookup – so there is no soldering or additional box wiring needed! This truly is a Plug-and-Play system.

I would also like to address the Mach3 software. I have heard back from several people that the screen “looks intimidating” or that “learning something new like G-Code makes me nervous”. Well believe me when I tell you that we too had those same initial reactions. But the truth of it is this software is incredibly user friendly and very easy to operate. In fact, you really don’t need to learn any G-Code at all. There are probably only two commands that you would want to know initially: those being G0 and G1 (jog and move respectively). And a full listing of all the supported codes are just a click away in Mach3. Within the first day of using the Mach3 controller software you will soon realize that there are a great many more features and abilities you will have over controlling your router than you have ever imagined. The Mach3 software is also extremely user definable. If you find that you would rather have your own “operating screen”, you can either develop your own with what YOU want to see, or you can download a free one, or you can pay someone to build one for you. This feature comes in nice for “locking out” certain controls from an operator (for those of you who hire operators to run your SB), you can easily add buttons to perform various tasks automatically, change the language on the buttons if you have non-english speaking operators, etc. One of the really nice features that you will notice right off is a real-time display of what you have to cut, and it’s progress! Also if you do hire operators to run your CNC routers, odds are that they will be more familiar with G-Code than any other language.

For those interested in updating or adding plasma cutting capabilities to your tool, we will also soon be offering and supporting the Ascension 2000 Torch Height Controller. It too is controlled via the Mach3 software, and it integrates beautifully.

We also feel the question of support needs to be addressed. Please note that we do not speak for ShopBot nor any of the others who have put together “hotrod” packages. It would seem logical that if an individual user put together their own controller box (be it boards, drives and power supplies or some one else’s put together version) that ShopBot would not be supporting this (they did not assemble it or supply all of the parts) so one should not anticipate they will support it. Just as you should not expect ShopBot to support the Ascension 1000/Mach3 setup. We however do see a difference here in that if you do go with the Ascension 1000/Mach3 upgrade solution in lieu of the others, you will be supported. We of course will ALWAYS support our hardware and the Mach software, but you also have a huge forum of the other Mach users to gain even more knowledge and additional support from.

Also worth mentioning is that Custom-CNC has MANY more features and enhancements that will be available in the future. These will be based upon the using the Ascension 1000 and Mach3 software. Also most of the abilities that the Ascension 1000 has have been based on input that came directly from other ShopBot users. If there is something that you would like to see incorporated into this upgrade solution, please let us know. We are listening. And remember, we are proud ShopBotters that are here to help out our fellow ShopBotters!

Please direct all inquires regarding the Ascension 1000/Mach3 directly to my e-mail Alan@Custom-CNC.com

Regards, Alan

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

Default Test Results of the Ascension 1000

This is a report on the aftermarket upgrade available for Shopbot model PR running uni-polar motors and the Shopbot model PRT using bi-polar stepper motors with the rack and pinion drive system.
    www.shopbottools.com

The aftermarket control box used in this testing was the Ascension 1000 by Custom CNC Inc
    www.custom-cnc.com and the operating software was Mach 3 by Artsoft www.machsupport.com/artsoft/index/index.htm
    Custom CNC packages this software under license with their control box as an upgrade package but the software maybe purchased independently with no presetting’s configured direct from Artsoft.

All tests and observations were made using the standard Shopbot control box for the particular model and the Shopbot software as the baseline control for testing.

The purpose of these tests was to find out if the Ascension 1000 upgrade package offered by Custom-CNC was a viable and worthwhile upgrade for owners of the Shopbot model’s Pr and Prt.
    This upgrade is designed to smooth out the running characteristics, increase the resolution and give increase speed to Pr’s and Prt’s using the original equipped 1 &1.5 amp motors.

Test Locations and Machines
    Test 1: was held at Doug Strickland’s shop, Superior Sign Shop, Ada Oklahoma on May 12th & 13th 2006.
    Doug’s machine is an early model Shopbot PR running 1.5 amp, 3.6 resolution uni-polar motors on a rack and pinion drive system with pipe rails and 20 tooth pinions. The Z-axis operates on a ballscrew & has a Porter Cable 3.25 variable speed router attached; this set up is mounted on a wood table and ran under the PR control box with Shopbots ver 2.39 dos software.

Hereafter referred to as Test 1

Direct Observation of test 1 equipment; although this equipment is of vintage it runs well under its current settings, there is some wear in the pinion gears and the rails are slightly out of parallel but there were no physical adjustments done to this machine before or during the test.

The Test:
    The following tests were documented by video recorder as they were conducted.

A series of air moves and jogs was carried out with time and distance recorded for accuracy.
    Artwork consisting of various shapes and sizes was used for producing both a g-code and .sbp cut file.
    Feedrates, depth of cut, same bit etc were used throughout the testing of both cut files which was carried out in some freshly acquired 13/16” red oak. Each piece was marked independently in their positions of cut for each system and held for analysis comparison on completion of all test.

Connection:
    The Ascension 1000 box was placed on the table prior to connection and opened up for our inspection.
    The box itself was specifically designed and built for this system not only was it laid out well in the interior with its components (which includes the gecko drives) but it is truly a plug and play with all connections on the back of the box needed for the connection to the Shopbot. Another good point of interest is that the Ascension 1000 box matches the physical dimensions of a Prt box.
    Connection of the A-1000 took approximately 10 minutes to switch over the wago plugs of the drive motors, emergency stop, zero plate wires and plug the router power into the back of the box to be controlled through the software.
    The motors on the Pr have a 6 wire control instead of the standard 4 wire as on the Prt so there was an additional 15 minutes to change the wiring in the wago’s.
    Once connection was made the Pr was calibrated using the calibration module within the Mach 3 software.
    Then the Pr running under the Ascension 1000 and Mach 3 software was put through a series of moves and jogs prior to the cutting test.

The results of the air moves was very impressive, the steppers ran exceptionally quiet and smooth as it ran around the table, gone was the noisy growling and jerky motions, the transition from straight and diagonal movements to arc’s and circles was smooth and quiet.
    Cut speeds depend on the type and thickness of material as well as cutter type and size, which are different for every profiling, therefore we were more concerned with the quality of the cut so we did not push for top end cutting speeds. However the rapid moves (jog) on the pr were recorded at 8.5ips with 15ips squared acceleration before one of the stepper motors stalled. If fine-tuning adjustments had been made to the rails etc then we concluded that the jog speed would have exceeded those recorded numbers.

On completion of the cutting test, the test cuts were marked and left for final grading. The Ascension 1000 was then removed and the Shopbot was returned to its original controller box and software.
    To verify that everything was back to functioning as usual under Shopbot control, various keyboard jogs and air cuts were conducted
    This machine now under its normal Shopbot controller and settings cut comfortably @ 1.5ips and jogged @ 3ips
    Noise and vibration was evident in straight-line moves and jogs but intensified when transfersing through arc’s, circle’s and diagonal movements.
    When pushed to its max jog speeds the Pr racked @ a jog speed of 4.8ips.
    The shopbot then ran the same cut file of artwork and shapes in the Red Oak for comparison. One thing that was missed was the cutting of acrylic by the Ascension 1000 and due to the lateness of the day it was decided to do this in Test 2 but we did proceed with sample cuts of acrylic under the Shopbot controller to finish out the day.

Quality of Cuts:
    After close inspection of the two sets of cut Red Oak pieces we found that the Ascension system did indeed give a cleaner and smoother cut than the Shopbot system although there were some mechanical marks on the cut pieces of both sets we found that the overall analysis favored the Ascension for final resolution and finish.
    We must note that finishes will vary greatly between materials, cut and spindle speeds as well as tool pathing, so finial finishes may vary from our results with greater testing. These results were reported running the same cut files by both systems.
    The acrylic cut tests did fail miserably under the Shopbot controller, the radius/circle cuts were jagged and totally unacceptable with the jagged edges measuring 1/16” and better, as we were informed by Doug this was the standard cut he always receives when cutting arc’s etc in acrylic.

Final Comments Test 1:

From the testing done on the PR in comparison to the Shopbot control box/software my observation was that the Ascension 1000 control box coupled with the Mach 3 software gave the PR smoother operational moves through all axis, it produced cleaner cuts and increased its speed all-round. In my opinion for the added benefit of these items it is well worth the upgrade price.

Test 2: held at Gary Beckwith’s shop, Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita, Kansas on May 25th & 26th
    Gary’s machine is a Shopbot Prt running 1amp, 3.6 resolution bi-polar stepper motors on the X & Y-axis, and a 1.5 amp 7.2 resolution geared stepper motor on the Z-axis. All axis run on the rack and pinion system with pinions being 25 tooth on all motors. This machine has a 3hp Colombo spindle and is set up on a steel table running a standard Prt control box with Shopbots ver 2.39 dos software.

Hereafter referred to as Test 2

With the ShopBot controller/software running the system I ran a series of moves and jogs around the table, as with the PR test 1 my PRT had the same noisy growling and jerky motions while making diagonal, arc and circular movements.
    Test cut pieces were marked and put aside for comparison.
    Testing of the max jog speed on my standard prt recorded some interesting numbers
    On the measured and timed test over 72” in a straight line jog on the X-axis gave the follow.
    Jog speed set at 5ips over 72” calculated out to 4.6ips
    Jog speed set at 6ips over 72” calculated out to 4.6ips
    Jog speed set at 7ips over 72” calculated out to 4.5ips
    Jog speed set at 8ips over 72” calculated out to 4.5ips
    Jog speed set at 9ips over 72” calculated out to 4.5ips
    Jog speed set at 10ips over 72” calculated out to 4.4ips

The machine-racked bad badly on the last run and had to me reset and adjusted.

Direct Observation of test 2 equipment; There’s a small amount of slop with the pinion gears and some roll of the X-rails leading to a variance of .03125” to .0625” in the parallel measurement of the rails in places. As the Ascension 1000 will be remaining on this machine for long term testing the following adjustments were made during the set up of the system.
    The rails were realigned and wedged removing roll and bringing into precision realignment. The Y car was tack welded at all 4 corners to alleviate any movement in the bolted connections and a diagonal squaring checked over 80”x36” show square to be within .0272”

Connection:
    To start out we installed the Mach 3 software running under Windows XP on my computer.
    The installation of the Ascension 1000 was truly a plug and play it took the same time as test 1 to hook up, 10 minutes and it was running and ready for calibration.
    A side note on the hook up was that the distance between the controller box and the operating computer required a 25’ parallel cable, we had some concerns over the length of this cable and its operation but they were soon put to rest when the controller showed no lost of connection signal while testing.

Once again we calibrated the machine using the calibration module of the mach3 software and began the air move and jogs around the table.
    The first notable thing is just how quiet and smooth this machine now moved, I thought I was wowed in the change to Doug’s pr but this got my attention real quick.
    The first view of the Mach3 software was some what intimidating over the Shopbot software but within 5 minutes I had the machine zipping all over the place. It took me another hour to get comfortable with the software and the transition to running under g-code. I have to admit this software was an eye opener as to how limited I was operating.

The jog test ran over a measured 92” distance down the X-axis whereby we increased every second run by 1ips until one motor stalled out at 13ips once again with a little more fine tuning of the x-rails this could possibly increase but I was quite happy to record a safe and comfortable jog speed of 12ips which is almost 3times what I had. I must admit my jog speeds will be set at 6ips but I just had to see what this thing would do.
    We then proceed on to run the cut test, apart from comparing the same cut test as done with the Shopbot controller/software we also run test cuts with different cutters and combinations of cut and spindle speed.

Quality of Cuts:
    As with the Test 1 results we found that the Ascension system did indeed give a cleaner and smoother cut than the Shopbot Controller/software I did not have the sample cuts from the test 1 to physically compare side-by-side so I will not comment on quality difference of cuts between the two machines.
    The acrylic cut test was a little trial and error as I don’t cut any acrylic it took 3 cuts of a 5” letter “R” to dial in the correct cut and spindle speed to produce a cut that could come straight off the table and out the door for delivery. Overall the quality of cuts was a vast improvement over what I had been doing.

Summary:
    This summary is a joint consensus between the testers Doug Strickland and Gary Beckwith.
    As with the previous Test 1, the Test 2 results proved to be on equal grounds, the Ascension 1000 improved the machines operability by smoother transitions, better quality cuts and increase speeds, which is what Custom-CNC advertised it would do.
    Now is it worth the upgrade price as advertised, well that’s a personal call but for me I say yes, for the $’s, you get an upgraded controller running the Gecko drivers which is truly plug and play and you get the Mach3 software that impresses me more every time I dig into it, plus it comes with a free life time upgrade policy but most of all we got a better cutting and operational machine.

We maybe sounding a little bias towards the Ascension 1000 but if you build a mousetrap somebody is bound to improve on it.
    Our Shopbots has served us well over the years and we thank Shopbot for their product and introducing us into the CNC world but there comes a time when we have to move on. It was either sell the Shopbot and move to a higher end machine to obtain the results we wanted or look at an upgrade as offered by Custom-CNC. We chose to stay with the Shopbot and upgrade as this made the most business sense for the present time.

We have found though all this testing that its not just a change in alignment, motors, drivers, circuit boards or software it’s a combination of them all working together is what creates a quality smooth running machine.
    Just switching out a circuit board or upgrading the software will give some minimal improvement but it is the time tested combination of them all that we have mentioned is what gives the required end results, one other key piece to the operation of your machine is it must be aligned and true to start with otherwise you will be in for one frustrating install.

This is the results that we have observed, we are not saying rush out and buy the Ascension 1000 its up to each individual to decide for themselves this is just a system that we have known to be underproduction for two years prior to its release, its also the one we have had the opportunity to test and that falls into a nitch that works for us.
    We have no connection with Custom-CNC nor are we paid or receive any kickbacks to promote this product.
    We do know Alan the President of Custom-cnc personally due to our conversations and meetings while field-testing the Ascension 1000.
    We have had trouble taking photos for posting which shows the true cuts, we hope to obtain a macro lens that will resolve that issue so photos will be available shortly.
    In a closing note we would be happy to talk or email anyone who wishes to contact us in relation to this testing and the running of our systems.

Doug Strickland, Ada Ok,

As stated in the Forum Guidelines, we are happy to have announcements such as this. However, send your questions and comments to the appropriate forum or company or by private email to the poster.