Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/16 straight bit

For my cutting bits, I have been buying end mills bits from machine shop supply houses. Some that I have had outstanding results are, Micro 100 or Harvey Tool. The range of end mills will leave you gasping and your bank account in trouble. I have end mills ranging from .005 to .875. Anything over that I use end mills with replaceable carbide insert.

Spot on, Mark. I've been using Harvey & Micro100 for years...Lots of unique & hard to find tools & the carbide is top notch!

-B

THANKS FOR THE TIP GUYS !!!!!!!!
    Trying to identify the right bits and cutting strategy can be quit a challenge. Going to try the 3MM {.1181} as Gary mentioned. Maybe they won't be quit as fragile as the cat whiskers that the 1/16 bit are as Brady alluded to. Does any one know of a supplier of the metric bits with 1/4 inch shafts??? Or is that just asking to much of the suppliers/tool makers? Possible an opportunity?
    Bruce

Bruce,
    I am assuming that you have a Porter Cable router or similar? If you are running any of the spindles, you can get metric ER25 collets.

If running a Porter Cable, you can open up a lot of capability by purchasing a Stubby Collet Chuck. (See my write up on it here ). I'm pretty sure you can get ER11 collets in metric as well. Now you have the benefit of using whatever size shank tool you want, while properly holding the tool in the router.

Also...be aware that you want to do your dado in at least 2 passes - as one pass will Climb mill one side of the slot & Conventional cut the other side. Even if you do a .005" cleanup pass it will result in a better finish.

-B

Your link to the collets in the catalog is a bit confusing. Could you please find the model again?

Thanks,

RIB
    Last edited by rb99; 12-30-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Think & Tinker offer collets for the PC Router. Offering collets in 3 sizes, 1/8",1/4", and 1/2. Talking with them, they will be offering additional sizes of 3/16" & 3/8". Once the last two sizes are in production, your choice of cutters will be almost unlimited.

BRADY,
    I'm running a Colombo 5 hp ER25 collet just trying to keep it simple as possible. I like the onsrud 1/16 bits on the 1/4 inch shaft, and was hoping to find similar in metric. Been so busy cutting I haven't had a chance to look much yet. Looking at the harvey metal bits, What should I look at for other materials,or rather are they that different than bits made for wood,pvc,hdu etc.? At the rate I'm breaking bits in no time I should be an expert if I keep trying a few new ones to save a few bucks on shipping by ordering a minimum order.

3/8" collets are availible from Porter Cable. I ordered one from SB with my bot as I had a bunch of 3/8" shank endmills about.

Mark,
    Good to know about PC collets now available in those sizes.

Bruce,
    Unless the tool is tapered/necked down on a taper, a 1/4" shanked 1/16" tool will be just as fragile as an industry standard 1/8" shank stepped down to a 1/16". The only difference between the two is price since you are paying 1/4" prices for a 1/16" bit. They have to start with a 1/4" solid blank before they grind it down to a 1/16". A regular old end mill is about $7 or so...how much are you paying for that 1/4" deal?

Keep in mind a few things:

Small cutters require higher RPM to get the right chipload out of them. You should be running your spindle in the 18,000-22,000 RPM range with that 1/16" cutter. It is not likely that your bit breakage is being caused by the tool overheating in PVC - which is telling me that your probably overloading the tool due to insufficient RPM. Crank that puppy up and see how it does. You should be making provisions for that delicate cutter by adjusting your VR settings to allow for a more 'cusioned' movement of the tool. This will eliminate jerks and sudden jolts that can snap that tool. I would suggest adjusting the 'Slow Corner Speed' to a value of 35 & see if that reduces breakage.

-B

most of my breakage { I hate to admit} is just plain carelessness
    with these fragile little bits the onsrud bits are $17 . Hit one with the wrench as I went to take it out of the collet Pretty much rookie mistakes. One I swear {literally} I no more than looked at it. I've only had one bit while actually cutting and the rpm was most likely rpm to low. I will crank it up and check my VR settings. Thanks.