Thread: Coolant/Lube for cutting aluminum

threadfx Guest

Default Coolant/Lube for cutting aluminum

I cut my first piece of aluminum the other day. I used WD-40 to keep the bit wet.

I have more to cut, but am curious to know if there's any better way than standing at the 'Bot with a can of WD in my hand.

Thanks!
    Aaron

rgbrown@itexas.net Guest

Aaron,

Try one of the 'misting' coolers. It mixes air and a coolant into a mist and sprays directly at the cut. It uses very little liquid but does require air. With water alone as the coolant it works well on plastic

The one sitting on my bench is a "KOOL MIST" brand by a company of the same name. I got it from one of the 'major' machine tool supply companies though I can't remember which one.

Ron Brown - rgbrown@itexas.net

If Stupidity got us into this mess,
    then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers

While visiting friends in Australia, I noticed their set-up for cutting with coolant. They didn't have a shopbot but the coolant delivery system was their own idea and it can work on any router table.

They had a one gallon plastic container hanging above the router table and they had a fitting on the container near the bottom. Plastic IV (as in intraveinous) tubing was connected to the fitting and at the end of the tubing was a syringe needle. Between the fitting and the needle was one of those flow regulating devices that controls the drip rate of the fluid leaking out the needle. The needle was held in position near the cutting bit by means of flexible wire which I think was connected to the router body. It was very simple and it worked.