Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading the PRT-Continued from 2007 Archive!!!

Wow, I am thinking the trip to california and paying 1500 difference to get my prs and sell the prt was a great deal after watching this take place.
    Kenneth
    Kenneth

If I had seen a PRS with 5hp columbo that I could get for 1500 more than I could sell my PRT for I would have grabbed it too! But I bet with cost of trip added in as well as time away from shop real cost is the most relavent.
    Of course-If I was going to wish I would wish for a Haas with toolchanger! Or since we are implementing e-cab a Thermwood.
    Naah-I would have grabbed the toolchanger that Gary got instead!! I'm just a sucker for Bots.

Note that much of the delay from conception till now was due to many other priorities along the way.While planning this we also accumulated forklift, Holzer edgebander and sliding table saw, Delta RT31 cabinet saw, and moved to a new shop which needed complete outfitting electrically as well as wall work.
    This project is a pain in the neck in many ways but it is also a load of fun.

Ya, the trip along with everything was a pain, but it was in the winter and I wasn't busy then, so the timing was good. i still didn't get a spindle though. Both of them had routers.

I have been thinking about upgrading to alpha and spindle, but then I may as well go with a tool changer, and then my vac hold down won't be enough, so the little upgrade gets real expensive in a hurry. lol

I did find on my prs that shimming the rollers in and out on the gantry was a better way to square it than trying to keep fighting with the gantry bolts. It stays square now.

Also don't get the gantry to close when you move the rails out. The motors\shafts or gears will hit the aluminum if you aren't carefull. Mine took quite a bit of tweaking.

The new frames are weaker than your old steel table, so you will end up with the best of both worlds when you are done.

Kenneth
    Kenneth

You are so right that one thing only leads to another. That's why I did this the way I am. I own the machine outright and didn't want to start another round of financing as much as I would like a new alpha. This economy and the narrow profits in it just can't justify it. Accumulating the parts bit by bit has made it a minor out of pocket expense and when I am done, I'm done.

Why did you go with an extrusion on top of the c channel, for the new y car?

Gene
    Vector Studio 22

I wanted to use hardened rails instead of the old mild steel that has a lot of miles on it. The new system needs more accuracy in straight and level so the combination of the hardened rails, heavy aluminum pillow and the extrusion is more precise. The rail is sized for the larger wheels I wanted to use as well. All together with the previous gecko upgrade it more closely mimics a newer model. Looks cool too!
    The overall object of the exercise is to cut more accurate box parts faster and eliminate all saw work with the possible exception of the 1/4" backs.

And one more thing now that my work day is over:

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    I wanted to use hardened rails instead of the old mild steel that has a lot of miles on it. The new system needs more accuracy in straight and level so the combination of the hardened rails, heavy aluminum pillow and the extrusion is more precise. The rail is sized for the larger wheels I wanted to use as well. All together with the previous gecko upgrade it more closely mimics a newer model. Looks cool too!
    The overall object of the exercise is to cut more accurate box parts faster and eliminate all saw work with the possible exception of the 1/4" backs.

And one more thing now that my work day is over:

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE.

Thanks for the updates...

Another cold one your way via the net,,,

Gene
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vector Studio 22

Dave...
    Looks good. I am tuned in on the progress.

Looks like Gene got "el nombre del cervesa" correct this time!!
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by islaww View Post
    Dave...
    Looks good. I am tuned in on the progress.

Looks like Gene got "el nombre del cervesa" correct this time!!
    ..hey

que bueno que hablas espanol....

pues quiero decir que los pacificos frios son los mejores en el mundo

Gene
    Last edited by gc3; 07-04-2010 at 09:14 PM.
    Vector Studio 22

Heineken es el mejor pero si estoy en México es Dos XX es para mí!