Thread: Cutting .028 slots

srd1@bright.net Guest

Default Cutting .028 slots

I am not familiar with router bits so this may be a crazy question. Is it possible to get a bit that will cut a .028" slot all the way through 5/8 birch plywood? (this wood is pretty soft) Basicly cut like a jig saw blade. Thank you for any info on this.

The smallest router bit I have tried in my Shopbot was a 1/16"straight carbide unit. I tried it in pine, and I tried to make a 1/4" deep cut at .5"per second. It took exactly 2 seconds to snap....I think you might find engraving bits that are thinner in diameter, but I doubt that their cutting length will be more than 1/2". And I'd be ( pleasantly) surprised if they could cut through 5/8 inch material.If the wood didn't break the bit, the glue lines in plywood almost certainly would...Thinnest cut I've been able to get in ply is with a 1/16" Matsushita saw blade which cuts just about any wood like butter, but it's more than twice the thickness you need..

Robin Guest

I've used bits that small (engraving game boards and "inlaying" with coloured epoxy) but never more than an 1/8" or so in depth. My speed was set at around .2"/s and I was using 1/8" shank remanufactured bits from the electronics industry. I bought mine cheap (around $8 for 10) from Princess Auto. The tiny spiral's worked better than the rasp type.

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com Guest

I have a .025" bit that I will be using in a 65,000 RPM spindle. It's depth of cut is 3/16", I doubt if you could find one much longer than that. You also need the high rpm to keep your tip speed sensible.