Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arched door molding

Default Arched door molding

This is a continuation from my previous thread "arched top exterior door". I haven't started this project yet however I'm trying to familiarize myself with the "extruder" feature to mill the arched door molding. I am not making much progress and becoming more confused. I drew a simple profile to practice, but can't seem to get past this because there are open vectors and I can't close them to create a tool path. Do you create a V-carve, profile toolpath or a pocket toolpath? In B. Young's corner there is a nice 3D image. I assume this is the preview, but how do you get to this point? Has anyone done this who could provide some guidance? Many thanks!

PRofile toolpath doesn't care about open vectors.

I was looking for a little bit more help than this... Thanks

I am using the Aspire software, it has a two rail sweep function that works well for me. I am sorry to say I don't have any experience with the extruder feature. I would be happy to explain the two rail sweep to you if you like. If you figure out the extruder function, please share. It might take a bit of time for others to respond to your request. hang in there.

Hey John, when using the "profile" toolpath you have to set it to cut "ON". Not inside or outside. Inside or outside try to go completely around as if closing the vector.
    I usually draw up my design and then do a second layer in another colour for the toolpaths. You may have to make some offsets for your cutters to accommodate cutting "on". It takes some layout on paper and playing around to get exactly what you want. IF you have aspire you could do 2 rail sweep but I find it takes too long to cut.

First - I have never used the extruder - so I may be adding noise to this thread, but if I understand what the extruder is doing then the same could be done in aspire.

- create a surface using a 2 rail sweep.

- create a pocket toolpath over the surface and project it onto the surface.

Unfortunately I do not have Aspire. However, I made a lot of progress. I'm am able to create a curved door molding in the preview mode. Setting the tool path on "ON LINE" was the main problem, then not saving the toolpath in "inches" only was the other. Also, when creating a curved extrusion in partwork the length of the profile needs to be along the x-axis.

The next problem I'm contemplating is using a .5" ball nose bit. Using this size bit will not be able to get into a narrow gully or create a crisp line. Any thoughts on that one? Can two seperate bits be used? If so how?

Well I got my profile to preview just the way I want it, however the milling results are not even close. I've consulted Frank and he's duplicating my milling issues.

Since the profile tool path must be cut "on-line" the 1/2" ball nose bit cuts the perimeter dead-center on-line. Go figure. So a 2" wide-designed trim comes out at 1.5" wide. That's the first problem. The second problem is that the first past of the contoured portion of the profile goes down a 1/4" (the deepest part of the profile) then the rest of the profile cut is made over or doing air cutting. I can see that the profile is going through the proper form, just not in the wood. I could understand if it was doing an air cut for the entire profile, it would just be a "material thickness" and height adjustment. But I have a combination of material cutting and air cutting. I'm lost on this one. If anyone out there could lend a hand I would greatly appreciate it. I'll be sure to write an instruction sheet when this all gets figured out. thanks

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

John, if you want send me your dxf of the arc and profile and I will run it for you & send back in sbp.

John...
    I have just completed a similar toolpath for a radiused shape that I need to cut on 250 decorative rafter tails next week. I barely know how to muddle thru this on my own, but will try to explain for you.

I set my profile on the exact x and Y coordinates that I want for my x and z. I have added a small negative line (.25")to make sure I have a negative z plunge at the end of file.

I do an OUTSIDE profile with my intended bit. I try a few different depth to get my desired results. The toolpath shown has a 1/2 bit diameter depth. Save toolpath using "inch" not arcs postP.

42730.png

I open the SPB file saved and maually edit out the portions of the file between the red lines. This takes a little practice, but if you are careful with placement, position becomes very obvious.

Once this editing is done I send to extruder. The extruder has not returned predictable results to me, most likely thru inexperience, especially as it relates to existing Y coordiates transformed into Z heights. It usually takes me a few trys to get the X and Y coordinates that I want.

After an hour of trial and error I have the file I need, which will cut the notch and radiused end on twelve 4 by 6 rafter tails side by side with the 6" face vertically oriented.

Due to the height I have hand coded lead ins, lead outs and single axis moves to park the bit out of the way for table loading. Hope this helps.

42731.jpg
    Gary