Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arched top exterior door

Default Arched top exterior door

I have an opportunity to rebuild an exterior double door that a contractor botched. Six months ago, prior to the SB, I would have traced a template for top and middle rails and used a hand held router. I would obviously like to use the SB to cut these pieces from 10/4 Mahogany. How do I draw these curved parts so that they precisely fit into the contour of the arched door frame?

Also, you will notice that there is no door casing, which is also curved along the top. I believe the "extruder" feature is capable of producing such a piece using the profile of the straight casing. How is this done?

42245.jpg

42246.jpg

42247.jpg

Don't know if my method is the best method but it works for me when I tackle jobs similar to this.
    Will you be building these doors from scratch or trying to match up & replace components?

I would set the door up in a position where you could get a straight on picture of it. I'd then load the picture on the computer & use it as a template. Blow it up to the actual dimensions of the door. Draw/trace the parts to create a vectorized replica of the doors. Then go back and make several measurements to tweak it to get the individual pieces dialed in to the original.

I've put butcher paper down and run a pencil along the profiles.

Then using several scans - into the computer where it's stitched together,

Then into artcam - then cut the panels .15 oversize along the curves - the straight edges can be measured and cut correctly without all the extra fuss.

This would take up to two hour, until toolpathing is ready, for both sides but the parts would be a pretty tight fit.

You can also take that full size paper tracing to Kinkos and have them scan and put it on a CD for you. May have to clean up some on the scan or use the Poly line trace in Vcarv-pro or aspire to clean up the vector and then tool path directly. You can resize the pattern with the same tools. That way you do not have to stitch pieces from seperate scans

Thanks for the advise guys! I was thinking I could take a photo of it but also thought that that could leave a lot of variation if the camera isn't perfectly perpendicular. I guess this would just have to be a trial and error process..

Gary, the door will be rebuilt to look just like the one in the photo. I have some flexibility with the curved mid-rail, however the top rail will need to be a perfect match to the door frame.

I guess I was thinking there would a mathematical/geometric way to figure out the arch diameter and redraw in partworks. Is there such a technique?

Any thoughts on the arched door casing?

You can square the photo up in photoshop or equivalent photo program.

RB

John;
    Attached should be a version of your photo that is more square, although i do not know if the height width ratio is correct. The 50kb limit onthis site makes this difficult, but if you want to email me a larger file i could square it in a matter of just a couple of minutes. Let me know the exact height versus width, as well.
    BUT- I would suggest that you shoot a better photo. To shoot one at the correct angle try the following.
    attach a decent sized mirror - about 8 x 10" to the center of the subject.
    It wants to be exactly flat to the plane of your subject.
    Mark the center of the mirror with an X or + in grease pencil or indelible marker.
    Line up the camera so the reflection of the lens appears centered around the X.
    this will put you within less than 1/4 degree of dead on.
    Please be aware that many "cheaper" cameras that take great pictures have pretty bad spherical distortion. Try and use a camera with a good glass lens, and make some marks on the subject near the edges that you know to be square as a good check.

42275.jpg

Thanks Bob... I will need to take a better photo. I might just have to unlist your help on the alignment.

Thanks!

You can do it with geometry easily
    all you need are 2 dimensions width of the door and the difference of the 2 sides of the door
    transfer these dimensions to a piece of cardboard
    then draw the 2 yellow circles in the picture their radius does not matter as long as they are the same.
    then draw the red line thru the 2 points where the circles cross each other take the distance from where the line crosses the centerline of the doors to the top of the doors
    that is the radius you need

42281.jpg

John, I don't know if this will help. I use the formula frequently.

step 1:::::::height of arc divided by 2
    step 2:::::::width x width
    step 3::::::: 8 x height

DIVIDE STEP 2 BY STEP 3 (3 INTO 2)
    ADD STEP 1 TO ANSWER THAT IS YOUR RADIUS.

Ikeep this formula written down at the shop. I have no internet at the shop so I can't use the following.
    http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/rad2.cgi?submit=Entry

David