Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pneumatic Routers for Shopbot

Default Pneumatic Routers for Shopbot

I haven't read any postings on someone trying a pnuematic router in their SB. These routers turn anywhere from 40,000 to 75,000 rpm @ 90 psi while using very little air (in the neighbourhood of 2-7 cubic inches). Has anyone tried this method of tool use yet? Just curious whether the purchase of one of these air routers is justified or not.

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com Guest

I'm using a small air turbine running at 65,000 rpm, piggy backed on my Acc. axis. For running small diameter bits 2.0 mm and under it's the only way to go. They have a very narrow torque band though so if pushed too hard will stall.

I had thought about using this type of router for some printed circuit board engraving. I will probably be using endmills with a 1/8" shaft and a 0.005 to 0.015" cutter. I have played with my cad software for designing the boards and have successfully imported and got the SB software to cut out the file (atleast in preview mode. Still waiting for my machine to arrive.)
    This was the reason for the post. Thanks for replying Sheldon.

This link was given to me by Ed Coleman. I found it very useful.

http://www.thinktink.com/

donframbach Guest

Hello Sheldon, what type of air turbine are you running?
    TIA Don Frambach

BTW the http://www.thinktink.com link is great!

Air Turbine Tools #201JS.

They have a lot of models to choose from, I suggest giving them a call to discuss your application.

www.airturbinetools.com
    800/840-4019

donframbach Guest

Hello Sheldon,

I just received a catalog and CD from Air Turbine Tools and am getting really excited about replacing my Bosch router with an air driven tool. May I ask two questions?

1) I would run 1/16, 1/32, and smaller bits. Do you know how much noise these would make cutting at higher speeds?

2) I don't have a compressor. I would use it only for this purpose. Can you suggest what I should look at?

TIA Don Frambach

Wdyasq@yahoo.com Guest

Hello Don,

Buy more compressor than you think you need. If you ever start using quality air tools, sanders, drills, screwdrivers and other such stuff, I think you will like them a lot better than the electric counterparts. Spray guns running on compressed air can produce nice finishes and air will be used for 'blowing off' your tables and such. Also, the venturi type vacuum devices can be used for hold-down devices.

When you consider air tools remember to properly plan your air lines. They should not be PVC. They will need to have 'drops' and drains for both the tank and the lines. Will the tool need a regulator or lubricator? Will you need a line dryer?

I don't want to sound like a spoil sport but, a good 5 hp compressor SYSTEM can set one back $2000 or more in parts alone by the time fittings, pipe, motor starters, dryer, regulators, couplings and air lines are figured in.

Ron Brown - wdyasq@yahoo.com

If Stupidity got us into this mess,
    then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers

Good points from Ron. My compressor is a 4hp Quincy (I don't recommend Quincy) single stage w/80 gal tank, which puts out about 14 cfm at 90 psi. It seems to be running about 30% of the time when driving the turbine. This seems kind of inefficient to me since it's taking 4hp to get .25hp at the bit. However, the system works well so I'm not in a hurry to fix it

The tool needs very clean air, so a 5 micron filter/regulator at the tool is needed. Also an after-cooler and water trap should be used at the compressor. You can make a surprisingly good after-cooler using a 25' coiled hose spread out with an acrylic loom and submerged in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Hot air goes in, cool air comes out, then on to the water trap. Copper tubing would be better, but this works OK.

I haven't cut a lot of wood with mine yet. Mostly brass shim stock and fibreglass PC board, which are both pretty loud. Loud enough for ear plugs, but still about a quarter of the volume of a router.

Wdyasq@yahoo.com Guest

I've had a 5 HP Quincy for years. I have changed the oil. I have run the compressor and run, and run.........

One of the best 'cheap' after-coolers is an automotive refrigerant condenser. You can rig a fan up to the motor windings and with the AC condenser between the compressor head and the tank drop most of the heat and water right there.

Air is not an efficient tool operating medium. Of course any time energy is converted from one for to another, power is lost. Still, my favorite 'trim' router is an old Rockwell air-router. My favorite sanders are air as are my favorite drills.

The biggest improvement one can make on an air system, IMO, is a refrigerated air dryer. It also lowers maintenance on you air tools- and air tools are almost non-maintenance.

Ron Brown - wdyasq@yahoo.com

If Stupidity got us into this mess,
    then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers