Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Columbo spindle vs. router

Michael, I have a 5hp Colombo and have had very good luck with it. It's expensive but it's a very nice tool. Mine also has the electric fan and is so quiet I couldn't even believe it when I first started using it. I've heard equally good things about Colombo and HSD and from what I know I don't think you could go wrong with either. I'm not sure but I think the HSD's are not quite as expensive. The only thing I would do differently if I had to do it again is to go with a tool changer ready spindle. Now that I need a changer I have to get a whole new spindle which sucks.

I am a CNC programmer and operator for a large furniture company. I use spindles costing $8000 and up. I also do small production work at home with my own CNC and to be honest I am just as happy with my PC router. If the price weren't so much I probably would buy a spindle, but right now I just can't justify spinding half as much for spindle as I did for my machine. Maybe one day though.

I think Shopbot is now offering a 2.25HP High Frequency Spindle made by HSD that is at about $2,000 - which, also includes the preprogrammed/pre-wired variable frequency drive (VFD)

That is still 5 times more than the cost of most routers. But I think it now becomes a lot easier to make the decision to go spindle vs. router.

Hi.... I have a 5hp Colombo on 5x12 Alpha. Purchaced it with my Alpha 2 1/2 years ago. Never have had a problem with it.... Quiet and smooth. I decided a year ago I need more tools and checked into adding another Z and putting a router on it. I was told that there was not enough room to add another Z with the 5 hp Colombo. If I had a 3hp there would not have been a problem. I think you can add the drill but I needed another bit. I wasn't told this at the time of purchase and I still haven't found anything on SB site that cautions this. Love my 5hp and can't justifiy the cost to down grade to have another Z.

Other than that I am generaly as happy as a pig in a puddle of mud with my SB..... ;-)

Donald,
    I have the 5HP Colombo as well & althogh you can't get 2 spindles in the same bay you \i(can} get a 5HP + a Milwaukee electric drill or a small 2HP router next to it. Depending on what your needs are, you can also fit the air drill in there. It gets to be a tight squeeze by the 5HP electrical box mounted on the spindle, but it can be done. Oh...and you *may* be able to get one of the new HSD 2.25HP spindles in there as I think they are smaller than the 3 HP ones...but I would check to be sure. 2 3HP Colombos side by side is a really tight squeeze!

-B

I had asked about putting in a 2nd Z and was told there wasn't enough room except for the air drill because of the 5hp Colombo's electric box. I had indicated that I wanted a router as 2nd Z and was tolded that wouldn't fit either.

At the time I wanted to router designs in MDF cabinet doors and the least I could get by with was 2 bits. I went through the method of cutting everything with 1 bit and then running them all again after a bit change...... to much work and went back to outsourcing MDF doors.

Hi fellas,
    Heres my 2 cents,Can,t afford a spindle but they sound nice. I really havnt found any limitations with my PC so far though. I've been doing intricate 3d in honduran mahogany with the PC with good results. The only thing I would change however would be making the thing quieter with an external fan. Heres a picture of some of my work.
    26018.jpg