Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probe file

Default Probe file

I probed a small hand carving and have a sbp. file that the shopbot control software will simulate. But it would not load into aspire. I reprobed the carving to save as a DXF file, but it would not load into aspire either. I contacted Frank at Shopbot support,, he told me to run the SBP file through the converter in Shopbot3,, and then it should load.
    I have had no luck at all,,, when I run the SBP file through the converter, the picture on the screen looks like a bar code,,
    Can anyone help ?
    Thank you on advance, Charles

I recommend that you send the DXF file to the Vectric support team. (support at vectric dot com)

I could have a look as well. My e-mail is on my profile.

Thank you Randall,
    I tried to send the file to the email address in your profile, but it was returned undeliverable.

If i remember correctly when you probe a 3d object you have to save it as a point cloud then do a conversion on it. I think your probem is that you are saving a 3d probed file in a 2d dxf format.
    I don't have the control software program installed on this computer so i can't go look at the steps. The problem i believe is in the format you save your info in not what program you are trying to open it in.

Darn spam filter...

Thanks Jack,

You may be right,, When I open the copy machine progam, the first folder asks me if I want to make a 3D copy or a 2d outline of an object. In the second folder I choose to use the Shopbot touch probe or a mechanical wire. The third folder gives me three formats to save the file in,, a Shopbot SBP file, a DXF file of points, or a Polyline DXF file.
    I think I probed a Shopbot SBP file and a DXF file of points. I have not tried the Polyline DXF file ( is this the point cloud file ) ?

like i said i haven't done this in a long time but the "dxf file of points" will be your point cloud. That is what you would want to use if you were probing a full 3d object.
    The polyline dxf file is probably what you would use if you were just outlining your object. When creating a polyline it is basically just a straight line, or series of straight lines with points at intersections.

Charles,

It's hard to tell much without seeing your file and knowing more details, but...

* What version of the ShopBot control software are you running? There have been improvements in the newer versions of the Copy Machine to make them more compatible with importing into Vectric products.

* When you say you ran it through the convertor in the ShopBot software, did you use the "Probe to Surface" tool in the Virtual Tools folder? Did it create a surface or give any errors?

* The dxf output options won't help you much unless you are going to import into a CAD program like Rhino. The 3d sbp file is the one that'll be the most useful if you're working with the ShopBot and Vectric software.

* If the probe to surface Virtual Tool created a surface from your file but Aspire won't open it, then I would follow Randall's suggestion and see what the Vectric guys have to say.

Not much help I'm afraid,
    Bill

That sounds logical to me.
    I am embarrased that I missed the simplicity of the format titles, but this is my first attempt at the Copy Machine function , and I was excessively cautious to avoid bending my probe.
    I am not sure,now, which DXF format I saved it to,, so I will try again.

Bill, good point,, let me get the info you want.