Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Compressor

Default Air Compressor

My Ingersall Rand/60 gal/3Hp air compressor is struggling to keep up with my air drill. I know absolutetly nothing about compressors, and am open to any advice/tips. I would guess that my only option is to replace the compressor. If that's the case (please say it isn't), what should I look for in a new one?

Nat..
    I use a 7.5 hp 60 gal unit in our shop. You shouldnt need to change it.

When I started trying to put together a drill for our PRSa, (part wizard for software and before the PRS drill came out) I started with the old PRT drill postP that came with part wizard. This postP jogs the drill to the hole location and then runs the Custom8 (drilling)file. During some difficulties with making the file work with a variable hole depth (like the SB PRS drill) made a few drilling files with the now available PRS Drill Vectric post. I found that with the drill running fuul speed, full time during the drilling file, my air use was more than my compressor could handle also.

Even tho I now have the PRS drill posts for both drills, I still use the old PRT post and 2 Modified for VCarve Pro. I also prefer to use air to plunge the bit as it can be regulated at the tool for plunge speed. I also use a prox on plunge to insure full depth. This prox and a timing cycle, will peck the drill in hard to drill materials. (Thanks to Mike Richards)

What you can do, if you like, is to make a custom post that drops the drill to drilling height, the only runs the drill motor when drilling. You will need to add an additional solenoid valve and do some wiring, but a Saturday spent is better than buying a new comp.
    This drill: (which is still for sale)

35072.jpg

Will run on this compressor:

35073.jpg
    When drilling cycle time is 1 hole per second. After 40 "C8" cycles the pressure drops from 100 to 90. That is a 4CFM portable. Send me an email off forum, I may have the parts in stock.
    Gary

E-mail sent, thanks.

Update. Problem solved. With much help and patience from Gary, I did add a solenoid to each of the drills. This enables me to operate the drill cylinders and drills. The drill heads turn on only when actually drilling.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=o7HK4Lks2J0

The drills use ALOT less air now. I'm able to machine an entire sheet of cabinet sides, with line boring and pilot holes, and my compressor has no issue keeping up. Before I would need to pause the file several times while my compressor 'caught up'.

I'll try to post a photo of the added solenoids installed on the drill airlines over the next few days.

Hey , it looks like you guys solved a problem that has plagued me since I got the PRS drill . I just upgraded my 26 gallon compressor to a 60 gallon unit with a 3 HP motor as Nat has . I thought this would solve the problem but it appears not . I was thinking that because my bot is in an unheated garage it had something to do with the compressed air coming from a warm space where my compressor is to a cold space where the air is used . Yesterday I ran a file with 36 5mm holes with my new compressor and found the drill started to loose power after 12 holes . This is the worst it has performed . I was able to get close to 100 holes with my 26 gallon unit in warmer weather . I was about to re-engenier my drill mount to take a die grinder as Gary had mentioned in another thread but if I could get some help sorting this out I would prefer to stay with the air drill . Thanks Bill

Great solution.My compressor doesn't lose pressure,but runs and runs while I'm drilling.
    I would also welcome some guidance.

Thanks

Erminio

I'll get together some info on the setup and post it in the next couple of days. There are a couple of steps, but it's a fairly straightforward fix.

When I was manufacturing, I found air drills used lots of air.

I had a 5hp 220v 2phase 100 gallon tank and it would start and stop quite a bit.

I think they need 90lbs of pressure.

RB

Be sure that you drain the tank from time to time. I've seen some air tanks that were half full of water (condensation) and they wondered why they didn't have the capacity that they used to.

Thanks Scott - it is a brand new tank in my case and I always drain my tanks and have never had more than 1/4 cup of water.