Thread: Probe...lems

Default Probe...lems

I have a PRT standard, running windows software, and one of the older mechanical/contact probes with 2 wires. I connected the black wire to "input 1" and the white one to ground as per instructions.

I wanted to scan the perimeter of an object (2D) so I first tested it on a workpiece, holding the workpiece down by hand. It seemed to be working great; stopping on the edge, moving over and stopping again as it worked around the object. So, all excited, I screwed the workpiece down, setup again, and this time, when the stylus contacts the object, it bends the stylus without backing up again. Now I've noticed that when I jog the x or y axis using the keypad, the Bot does not stop immediately, it continues for about a half second or so. It didn't do that before the stylus incident. WHat have I torn up now?
    Thanks!
    Wayne

Welcome to the world of probe breakers. I would bet that at least 75% of all probe owners have broken their probe at least once due to wiring or other issues.

After breaking mine THREE times we finally discovered that there was a wire installed backwards by shopbot in the harness where you plug the unit in.
    The fix was they sent me a little tool to unplug the wire within the harness and change. You may want to go over the wiring plug assignments in the harness with shopbot to make sure that is correct.
    Also the written instructions have not kept up with the mechanical changes so your instructions may be incorrect.
    Is Scott still with shopbot? (haven't heard from him in here for a while) but he was the one that got me straightened out so he may be able to help you.

Thanks Jack!