Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spindle RPM Tool Freezing Up

Default Spindle RPM Tool Freezing Up

I bought the Spindle Control Board from ShopBot for my PRS Standard with Yaskawa VFD. Installation went smoothly and everything works great -- until I start the spindle. Then the Spindle RPM Tool (TR command) freezes up so badly that it can't even be terminated with the task manager.

The problem only happens if I use the RPM Tool and the spindle at the same time (including a TR command embedded in a cutting file). Unfortunately, this pretty much defeats the purpose of the investment.

I called ShopBot tech support and spoke with two different people, and so far we haven't found a solution. Both asked if the ground was loose in the VFD (it wasn't). They also felt that the problem was due to RF interference from the VFD (or something else) and encouraged me to try to mount the spindle control board as far from the VFD as possible (which I find surprising, since the installation guide shows it being mounted inside the VFD). I've also tried an alternate computer and achieved the same results.

So far, with a USB extension and an alternate wire (shielded), I've tried a distance of 10' from everything (VFD, computer, Bot, etc.) and still seen no signs of improvement.

I'm wonderig if anyone else has something new I can try.

Just a shot in the dark ...

You didn't roll up a coil of wire and place it near something?

Go into the shop with a fresh set of eyes and evaluate every thing you did after receiving the unit.

John
    I am running a PRS alpha and have a bit of the same issue. My VFD will ignore a TR command if the spindle is running. If it is not running it works fine. I put a pause for 2 seconds in the PP before and now it all works.
    If I am cutting a single file it is not an issue, but I use Cabinet Parts Pro for case work and that combines all of the operations into one file, that is where i noticed it. Ryan at Shopbot thought it was an electrical interference issue, but even with my cables uncoiled and all grounds rechecked i could not find the cause. The "pause first" workaround has been fine for 3 months so i just accept it as the best way to go. email me if you want a copy of the PP I am using for CabPartsPro
    Bob

So here's my latest discovery on this issue...

I'm still unable to find the source of any resolvable electrical interference. However, when I use one computer to control the ShopBot and a second computer to control the spindle RPM's, everything works fine. I'm wondering if this points to some sort of USB conflict when everything is used on a single machine. Regardless, it puts a hole in the electrical interference theory.

I run a PRS Alpha and have exactly the same problem Bob is having. If the spindle is running, TR does not work. If the spindle is not running TR works fine.

This sure seems like a real problem somewhere in the ShopBot hardware/software. If only one person was having the problem then I would say "local gremlins".

Feedback from tech support was that there must be something wrong in my setup.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

exact same problem for the spindle. I try to change the RPM and it freezes. I have a Yaskawa spindle. I spoke to Frank at ShopBot about it and he said to move to different USB ports. It is still buggy. My 2 year warranty is almost up on the machine. I am just trying to find all the bugs in the machine.

I've got the same problem and also got the same suggestions from ShopBot support. I was spending much more time than I could afford trying to get it to work so it is sitting in a box unused. I think I'll try Bob's idea of putting a pause at the beginning of the file to see if that works for me. I'll report back with my findings.

Scott

I've got the same problem and also got the same suggestions from ShopBot support. I was spending much more time than I could afford trying to get it to work so it is sitting in a box unused. I think I'll try Bob's idea of putting a pause at the beginning of the file to see if that works for me. I'll report back with my findings.

Scott

Scott, Kevin, Don, and Bob--

Any possibility of getting confirmation that controlling the spindle from a separate computer fixes the problem?

Default usb hub

Don't know if this help. Mine did that when I plug both usb into my computer with out a usb hub. If I use a hub that problem went away. Hope this help.