Thread: What to use for shelf pin holes?

Default What to use for shelf pin holes?

What is the best way to get rows of shelf pin holes? 5mm. I am looking at the second z with PC router or an airdrill? What is the difference? what else would the second z be used for?

Steven,
    A air drill is made for drilling and the router for routing, I am not trying to be smart but as I understand it a drill would be the better choice. I sure that someone else here will chime in with better technical information.

Authentic Cabinetworks LLC, minneapolis mn

My prs alpha is arriving next week. I am planning on using only my router for everything. For the cost of the air drill I figure i will try the router and see how long the bushings last before I make that desicion. As far as 5 mm router bits heres one
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...iral_up_anchor
    about half way down the page

I have 2 z's on my old machine. The first z is 3HP spindle used for all cutting. The second z is a Porter Cable 3 1/4 HP router used for 5mm holes.
    I have had to use the second z for cutting when I had the spindle off for repair. So the second z with a router can be useful. I think the drill would not be as versatile as a router.
    I was thinking of also using the second z with the 5mm bit to cut 1/4" dados because in the first z I run a 3/8" bit.

I plan on having a spindle for the main cutter and adding a second function for the holes. I don't think the router brgs would be a big issue as there will be no side load on the second cutter. I would like to keep tool changing to a min.

I have the airdrill and use it almost exclusively for 5mm holes. It's less expensive than a second Z and router, however you do need a decent sized compressor to run it in a production setting.

Unless you plan to do a lot of cutting where you need to switch repeatedly between two router bits I don't think not having the second router is a big drawback - if you are going to keep a drill bit in the 2nd Z, then you still have to change bits to use it for routing.