Thread: Air cleaner/scrubber?

Default Air cleaner/scrubber?

Looking for suggestions/reccommendations for a shop air cleaner. I have a decent dust collection system, but still get a fair amount of dust in the air that I need to do something about. Shop is 40'x50' with 10'ceiling at the eaves, 18' at the peak. Thanks in advance.

Nat...
    Ive had the Jet and Delta... Delta works a little better as it moves more CFM. Bad part is paying for the sock filters when they finally plug. The outer filters are cheap.. the 3 part sock is what catches the fine stuff...

Use a large fan with body shop type "tacky" filter on the intake side. You can by 100 ft of 25" wide filter medium for less than Delta wants for 1 replacement.
    Gary

Our Delta has been working well for the past 4 years.

if you have dust in the air it's too late.
    You will get more improvement by improving your dc setup over using a air scrubber. for your size of shop you would need a larger scrubber then usual.
    look into getting a cyclone and getting a good pipe network setup. I run 6" hose from the ceiling and to as close to the machine as possible. the stock dust boot is not that great though.
    a good cyclone with good filter media and modifying the dc on machines will do more then an air scrubber will and keep the dust out of the air in the first place.

Thanks, I'll look into the Delta. I keep walking the fence between making one and buying one. I do have a cyclone, and it works as well as can be expected, but I still end up with a fair of dust from a number of different things. I do need to make a move, I'm increasingly bothered by what I read about the dangerous of the dust. Thanks again for the feedback.

How about building a sanding table/workbench that has a top with holes in it and underneath has some removable filters (quality furnace type) and a large squirrel cage blower drawing through them.

good dc is a lot of work to get working well. most machines need work to get good capture. almost every tool in my shop needed work to get the most dust captured.

How would you rate the noise level of the Delta. For example compared to other machines like a jointer (not very loud) or a planer(very loud) or a shop vac (loud) or a Fein shop vac (not very loud).

Phil...
    The delta has a squirrel cage blower in it. Not as loud as some home forced air blowers. It is not overly loud, easily over come by a radio at normal volume. Much quieter than most any cutting tool.
    Gary