Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-stop, remote stop

Airwurthy@aol.com Guest

Default E-stop, remote stop

Can anyone tell me where the remote e-stop hooks to the control board? I have all the components (I think) but not sure where to put them. Input #4 was suggested to me by a fellow bot owner(Rack and pinion) but did not work on my old cable drive tool. Are they different? Control board-wise? Thanks

Skipp, If I remember right the "older"control boxes used numbers such as P1.4,1.5, 1.6, 1.7, instead of 1,2,3,4 for the inputs, so to connect the stop switch you'd use 1.7. P1.4 was for the ZZeroplate, etc. If I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct us both..

Ted Hall, ShopBot Guest

Hi Skipp,

Bill has this one right, use P1.7 on the terminal board.

There is a little drawing in the back of your manual that de-codes the pins on the terminal board and indicates how they are numbered in terms of ShopBot Inputs.

Bill & Ted, you make it sound simpler than what it really is

My E-stop had four wires coming out of it - you are only telling Skipp what to do with one of the wires. Maybe you should tell him which color goes where, and which wires are not connected at all?

Airwurthy@aol.com Guest

Okay, the 1.7 input has nothing hooked to it, I had assumed the e-stop was going to break that connection? Or does some voltage come for somewhere and get broken before going to input 1.7? Thanks

skipp turner Guest

P.S. the little drawing(s) in the back of the manual say nothing of stop switches.

Skipp, According to my manual you connect the green wire to ground, and the black wire to P1.7. You do NOT use the blue and red wires..

Skipp,

In theory the input switches work by testing for high or low logic voltage ( 5+ and 0 approximately), but in practice they are usually used by making or breaking the connection to ground.

The E-Stop works like the z-zero plate, which triggers the software input switch when a connection is made between the wire on the plate ( which is connected to the input switch termonal in the control box ) and ground (through the router bit, ShopBot carriage, and ground wire back to the control box).

The ShopBot probe is just the opposite.. the connection to ground is MADE when the probe is not touching anything, and broken when it does.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Skipp Turner Guest

Hmmmmm, any other ideas? tried running that input through the switch to ground, shopbot kept on a jogging, tried it in Move too, same results. Any ideas? Thanks for all the ideas so far

Skipp,

My gut feeling is a bad connection, probably ground , and it's the first thing I would double-check. Is the green wire connected directly to a "gnd" connection on either end of the input switch terminal block in the control box, or is it connected to the tool somewhere so that the ground connection runs through the frame and wheels and all? If it's connected to the tool frame I would connect it to the terminal strip gnd connections and see if that solves the problem. Also make sure that the connection in the input switch terminal block is on bare wire, not on the insulation. Those older terminal blocks are harder to work with ( and see) than the ones in the new boxes.

If that doesn't work I would test the switch to make sure it's working properly. If you have a multimeter you could connect it to the two switch wires and test the resistance; it should be infinite when the switch is not pushed, and go to near zero when it's pushed. If you don't have a meter you could rig up a tester with a battery and a flashlight bulb.

Multimeters are pretty handy things to have around the shop for testing connections and voltages and such, and can be bought at Radio Shack for as little as $15. I bought a small one in a folding case, with a digital display and a continuity buzzer for testing things like the E-Stop switch, for $20 on sale a couple of months ago. I'm really happy with it... it's normally $24.99 and the catalog number is the #22-802

Happy holidays, and good luck tracking down the problem,

Bill