Thread: Info on Vacuum

Default Info on Vacuum

http://www.canavac.com/page1.htm

It is for central vacs but it has some good basic info. There are 5 pages.

RB

Even though I had closed my business Bay Craft Designs three years ago when I went full time with Shopbot, I had been keeping the web page "alive"as it had some info on building vacuum rigs, etc. I recently closed down the web page, but I have transferred the parts list for that pump over to the Shopbot Wiki;
    http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?tit...ry_supplies%3F
    It's all pretty much self explanatory, and for some good vacuum info you can always go to www.veneersupplies.com as Joe (The Woodworker) has been supplying many Shopbotters with components to build their rigs for a number of years.

Jim and Allison Stoddart took the time to completely document the assembly of their vacuum table. They have written up a short presentation that should answer MANY questions which are asked over and over again here on the Forum. They have taken great pictures which allow you to see how to properly build a very versatile hold down system for whatever model machine you are using.
    In order to keep the size of these Forum threads down Bill Young was able to transfer the entire presentation to the following link;
    http://shopbotwiki.pbwiki.com/Build-your-own-vac-system
    Make this page a bookmark if you're thinking about re-doing your vacuum table.....
    Many thanks to Jim and Allison...

FOR SALE - VACUUM HOLD DOWN PUMP, 5 H.P. 220-440V, SINGLE PHASE, FILTER, VACUUM GAGE, USED
    MINIMAL HOURS, BOUGHT FROM SHOPBOT ORIGIONALLY,
    BEEN IN STORAGE FOR 2 YEARS, DOES NOT INCLUDE
    PIPING, F.O.B. TULSA, OK. SCL V6GOR BLOWER FROM FPZ, INC. GRAFLON, WI. 262-375-7360.
    PRICE -$ 1100.00

This is an excellent presentation and yes, I find that it answers many of my questions. One that confuses me still is the gluing of the spoilboard to the plenum. After it has become too spoiled, how do you remove it to replace it?

I was wondering the same thing...

RIB

Once you are down to about 1/4" you are going to start losing vacuum. It has something to do with not enough thickness for the vacuum to distribute properly. At that point you shave it down to an 1/8th and put your new board on top or take it all off. If you are doing the former you run your adhesive for the new board between your vacuum zones and you are good to go. For the latter, of course, you end up resealing your plenum.
    I usually decide based on the condition of the spoilboard when it gets down that far.

Richard, John...
    When it gets too thin to hold good vacuum, you simply surface it off. Only takes a couple minutes. Since I surfaced the top of the plenum previously, I allready know that height as a variable from my Z prox down.

My only problem has been dealing with the massive amounts of dust that come off a 2.5" bit when cutting .125 per pass at 8-9ips. We had to slow down to 6 to allow DC to keep up.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein