Thread: Rubber cement masking

Default Rubber cement masking

Hello

I have found several threads about making a paint mask with rubber cement. I would like to try it, but I faced a fatal problem. It seems that rubber cement is no longer available in Europe for some reason. And shops in US will not ship it overseas because it is considered as hazardous material. I have found Rubber cement only from two shops in Finland in 50ml (approx 1.7 ounces) tube and the price is over 10 dollars.

Is there something else I can use for same purpose? Latex, for example?

Thanks!
    Ilkka

Ikka,

Even here in the US, RC is getting harder and harder to purchase. One of the main reasons is the lack of demand. No one uses it anymore.

The process of using Rubber Cement, was first coined as Dr. Crumley's Rootin Tootin Snake Oil Mask. It worked because it gets down in the cracks and crevices of rough lumber. By using vinyl masking tape, which has rubber cement as an adhesive, you can remove the adhesive in one motion.

Without the transfer tape the whole process goes down the tube. That's the major key.

There's one other product with possibility. It is known over here as Spraylat. That's a latex mask sold to sign shops in preparation for spraying transparent paints. Spraylat goes on in several coats and ends up thick. It may, in the long run, be even better than RC.

I'll give it a try and publish the results

Good routing

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

I've tried the spraylat on textured pvc and cedar and not had much luck. It doesn't seem to have enough tack to rout through it.

Ken,

I understand what you're talking about. To make it stick to PVC it may be necessary to apply a texture coat like Rocker Panel Spray which can be removed later.

My previous experiments seemed to hold up well, as long as it's laid on thick. When too thin, it's deliclate. The only big drawback I've had was the time it took to set up. Commercial Electrical sign shops use spray gun and lay down eight to ten coats. Then an exacto knife is used to cut through the mateial. If too thin it's hard to get of the plex.

There might be a hardner to make it tougher. I think we can find the solution.

Joe
    www.normansignco.com

I used Spraylat Sign Strip many years ago as a mask for spraying illuminated sign faces.

From what I remember there where a couple of different varieties, blue, green etc.

I recall us having trouble with it when using it on plexi. IT did work well, but not always perfect. Sometimes it was hard to pick off. We were saturating it with heavy duty thinners and paints...

Go to a big sign co that does sprayed faces and get a sample to try before buying a gallon.

RIB

Hey there Ilkka, great to have other Nordic people post here (I'm in Sweden)!

Have you got a bot / considering it?

Hello

I bought a CNC-router straight from China. But only a small one, 600x900mm. Was much cheaper than buying it from local reseller and they sell same stuff anyway.

Ilkka

What did you get? Have pics of the setup?

Here is the link: http://www.sh-router.com/

I have model SHM 0609

Next phase is to change the table and order vacuum table from Germany.

I got the router with 2kW italian spindle, fully assembled router with some cutters, 2 software with dongles. Only thing I had to do was to plug the cord to the wall and learn how to use CAM software.

Very impressive Ilkka,

Sure would like to hear your 0609 run. I see it comes with Mach 3.

Let us see some of your handy work.

Joe